‘Draft Day’ depicts former UW quarterback

Draft Day depicts former UW quarterback
Bryce Richter

Hollywood finally recognizes the star potential of University of Wisconsin quarterbacks.

No — we are not talking about the always charming Russell Wilson or the forever photogenic Joel Stave, but a new Kevin Costner movie titled “Draft Day,” which features former UW quarterback Tyler Donovan.

In the movie, the favored number one overall pick in the National Football League draft is a Badger quarterback named Bo Callahan who is played by Josh Pence, who played both Winklevoss twins in “The Social Network.”

According to the Cap Times, a highlight of Donovan delivering a crisp strike to the end zone is used to depict the supposed skill of Callahan validating his number one draft position.

This is of course totally awesome, but just seems wrong without Jared Abbrederis being at the receiving end of the pass.

The highlight clip can be seen in the movie trailer amid Kevin Costner’s frantic dialogues and highlights of other NFL players.

Donovan said in a university statement the feature is great for UW’s program. He said he hopes the movie will bolster the public image of UW quarterbacks.

“It will give some really good exposure to UW,” Donovan said in the university statement. “I really like to see that, especially at the quarterback position.”

According to the statement, UW’s trademark licensing director Cindy Van Matre originally declined the use of the clip by T3 Media Licensing studio because the original script depicted UW as a ‘party school.’ In the original script, the fictional Callahan hosts a party that gets out of control putting him at odds with his coaches and the police, the statement said.

After the scrip was changed to put UW in a better light, Van Matre allowed the use of the clip in the movie.

“Draft Day” will be in theaters April 11.

[Photo by Bryce Richter/UW Communications]