Peeping Tom exposes himself to woman on East Mifflin

A man was caught exposing himself in front of a woman’s ground level apartment located on the 200 block of East Mifflin Street Tuesday.

According to Madison police spokesperson Joel DeSpain, the suspect was spotted peeping into the woman’s window without her knowledge.

DeSpain said the victim was unaware of what was going on outside of her window, but a witness saw the incident occur and immediately contacted the police. When the police notified the victim, she was extremely disturbed, according to DeSpain.

“It was definitely a Peeping Tom incident,” DeSpain said. “We see this type of activity more often when someone lives on the first floor of an apartment or house.”

Although a suspect has not been identified yet, detectives and the Madison Police Department have gathered information from witnesses and are very hopeful in finding the criminal, DeSpain said.

Police said the suspect is a white male between 20 and 30-years-old. At the time of the incident he was wearing a blue oversized jacket and gray sweatpants.

Although there have been issues with this type of criminal activity in the past, DeSpain said he is not aware of any similar incidents occurring recently. He said these types of crimes typically occur during seasons of warmer weather, so people should be especially aware as spring approaches.

“The best thing people can do is to keep blinds or curtains shut, particularly in bathrooms and bedrooms, so that people cannot see in,” DeSpain said. “We usually see this type of activity when someone lives on the ground level of an apartment.”