Walker appoints new Board of Regents members

Gov. Scott Walker announced the appointments of three new members to the Board of Regents, the governing body for all University of Wisconsin System schools, in a statement Friday.

Anicka Purath, José Delgado and Eve Hall are the newest members of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents. Walker also appointed Susan Schaumburg to sit on the Wisconsin Technical College System Board.

The appointees will offer their expertise and input in governing the 26 universities and 2-year colleges in the state as well as technical colleges.

Purath, the new student representative, is a sophomore majoring in political science at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and participates in the local Lion’s Club, Volunteering Within Club and Pre-Law Association. She will serve a one-year term on the board.

“Anicka Purath demonstrates the leadership skills and educational drive to be a great representative of the traditional college student population,” Walker said in the statement.  “Her community involvement and interest in academic excellence will be a great benefit to the Board’s work in upholding the UW-System’s high educational standards.”

Delgado is a Brookfield resident who currently serves on the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, the Greater Milwaukee Committee and advisory committees for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Marquette University. According to the statement, Delgado will serve a seven-year term beginning May 1.

Hall, a New Berlin resident, is the president of the African-American Chamber of Commerce. She will also will begin her seven-year term May 1.

Schaumburg, currently studying to be a registered nurse, serves on the Higher Educational Aids Board and helped coordinate the National Governor’s  Association Summer Meeting in Milwaukee last year. She has been appointed for a two-year term on the technical college board.

“Susan’s dedication to serving others makes her a remarkable candidate to represent her fellow students on the board,” Walker said in the statement.  “Her attention to detail and management skills will lend themselves well to a position of advocacy on the Board.  I thank her for her willingness to serve her fellow technical college students.”

All four appointments will still require confirmation from the state Senate.