Meat lovers rejoice at local raffles

Looking to bring home the bacon? Meat raffles cropping up in the area could show you the beef.

The raffles have been taking place at local establishments, including Tricia’s Country Corners right outside of Madison, Villa Tap and Paul’s Neighborhood Bar.

Tricia’s employee Kim Winburn said at the raffles, customers receive a paddle from the restaurant’s bartender, giving them the opportunity to win a cut of succulent meat. The meats range from pork chops and chicken to prime steaks.

Tricia’s has been running the raffles for about five years, Winburn said. The business gets the meat for the raffle from Stoddard’s, a company located just outside of Madison in Cottage Grove, Wis.

Winburn said these weekly Saturday afternoon raffles draw in large crowds, mainly because of the vibrant, lively atmosphere in the establishment and, of course, the opportunity to win some meat.

The raffles, which start at 3 p.m., are a great way to generate business by selling more beverages and food, Winburn said.

City attorney Michael May said these stores must obtain a license to host meat raffles. These licenses are issued by the state level.

Many establishments in Madison already possess these licenses, allowing them to legally host meat raffling events in restaurants and bars around the city, he said.

Dick’s Quality Meat and Grocery Stores is another meat supplier for local raffles.

The grocer offers a wide variety of meat such as chicken, t-bone steaks and pork chops, Linda Urfer, a Dick’s employee, said. The store has been involved with meat raffles since the trend gained popularity in the area a few years ago.

Looking to win the meat lottery this weekend? According to Villa Tap’s Facebook page, the restaurant holds meat raffles weekly Saturday from 3 to 6 p.m. Paul’s Neighborhood Bar raffles off meat every Saturday at 2 p.m, and Sundays, meat raffles can be found at The Red Mouse in Cross Plains.

[Image via Flickr user soyculto]