Armed robbery ‘traumatizes’ victims on East Johnson Street

Madison police are investigating an armed robbery of two downtown residents who were mugged early on Sunday morning.

The two male victims were walking on the 300 block of E. Johnson Street when they were approached from behind by two men, according to the incident report.

The report said one of the suspects was armed with a handgun. The two suspects threatened the victims and demanded they give up any valuables they were carrying. One of the suspects then fled the scene with one of the victim’s wallet, the incident report said.

Although no one was injured from this robbery, Madison police spokesperson Joel DeSpain said this is not to be taken lightly. According to DeSpain, even though there was no physical harm to the victims, they both seemed “extremely traumatized” when talking to the police after the robbery occurred.

DeSpain said there are many ways the City of Madison reaches out to victims of crimes such as these. He said the police department alerts University of Wisconsin campus counseling facilities if the victims are students. There is also a Crime Victim Witness program that is run out of the district attorney’s office, he said.

According to DeSpain, police are still investigating the robbery. The incident report said a police dog tracked the suspects to an area where it seems they may gotten into a car, but police have yet to locate them.

“Typically, in cases like these, we start by checking to see if the victim’s credit or debit cards have been used somewhere where we then look at surveillance video of the suspects using the cards,” DeSpain said. “We work with the victims to get descriptions of the suspects and in this instance, there was a witness that provided additional descriptors of the criminals.”