WSUM requests $9,000 budget increase for fiscal year 15

The University of Wisconsin’s student radio station, WSUM, presented to ASM’s Student Services Finance Committee Thursday, requesting a $9,141.42 increase in its budget for 2014-2015.

Six students who work at WSUM spoke on the station’s behalf, explaining their invaluable experiences working there. Production Director Evan Boyd, a freshman, said WSUM was a big factor in his choice to come to UW.

“WSUM was a major part of why I committed to Wisconsin,” Boyd said.

Dave Black, WSUM’s general manager, said most of the budget increase comes from the station’s need for new technology and reception tower maintenance. The station is requesting an extra $2,000 for new computers, as their old desktops were bought in 2009.

SSFC members inquired why WSUM technology costs have stayed stable, as other organizations have decreased these costs over time. Black said the station constantly needs new technology.

He also said a lightening strike in 2013 had burned out a transmitter on a radio tower, which required most of the station’s technology funds.

WSUM is a non-profit, non-commercial radio station, which also offers community outreach and radio training for students.

“We never forget that we’re investing your money and you need a return on this investment,” Black told the committee.

Ultimately, WSUM requested a budget of $339,711.72 for 2014-2015. SSFC will decide on the station’s budget March 3.