Students may soon be able to catch a Lyft in Madison

Herald Archives

Getting home from the bars at 2 a.m. may soon be slightly easier as the ride-sharing mobile app Lyft becomes available in Madison.

Though Lyft has not officially rolled out, advertisements for local Madison drivers have appeared on social media and Lyft cars have started to appear in the app in the city.

lyft

“It’s basically a ride-share app,” said Lyft driving mentor Justin Kibbel on his Facebook. “If you need a ride, you open the app, request a Lyft and it matches you with the closest driver. You’re usually picked up in minutes.”

Payment for rides is done through the app, with rates running 20 to 30 percent lower than typical cab rates, Kibbel said in his post.

Kibbel said in a phone interview that while there are Madison drivers certified for the app, Lyft has not set an “official” date for the roll-out. Kibbel said Lyft will be offering larger promotions within the next two weeks as part of an official launch.

He said users may not be able to find a driver in Madison just yet, with drivers only active on a sporadic basis.

Those interested in becoming a Lyft driver can sign up on the app’s website.

Lyft’s press representatives did not immediately return our request for comment.

[Photo from Lyft press kit]