ASM seeks to control all student fees

The student government voted to endorse legislation that would bring the allocation of all student fees under the Associated Students of Madison’s control in their meeting Wednesday.

Representatives also approved bylaws to allow for the creation of a Green Fund board to take the next steps to launch the fund.

Segregated Fee Budget Resolution

The Segregated Fee Budget Resolution would allow students to have full rights over all student segregated fees. ASM members voiced their support for the lobbying efforts UW students are making in the capitol to gain these rights.

ASM is working with Rep. Adam Neylon, R-Pewaukee, who is sponsoring the bill in the Assembly, Rep. Sarah Neibart said. ASM is looking to confirm a sponsor for a similar bill which will go to the Senate, she said.

“It’s important that students get the full control they were supposed to have over their segregated fees,” Neibart said. “Students had control, but wording was introduced to give students control over only the allocable fees.”

Neibart said ASM initially filed a lawsuit against the Board of Regents in 2007 for the introduction of a new allocable and non-allocable distinction, but the lawsuit did not come to fruition.

UW System Financial Policy 50 defines the scope of non-allocable and allocable university segregated fees and says students have primary oversight over allocable fees, which fund student organizations, while the chancellor has primary oversight over non-allocable fees, which fund university entities like the Wisconsin Union and University Health Services.

Students do not have full control over the non-allocable portion of student segregated fees, and the separation of oversight for allocable and non-allocable feeds can be traced back to 1978.

ASM voted unanimously to pass this resolution for the first time. The resolution will be heard for a second time at the next meeting.

Western Martial Arts Society

Last week, the Western Martial Arts Society forfeited its remaining budget for 2013-2014 and their entire budget for next year, along with their General Student Services Fund status.

Rep. David Vines moved for the group to be zero-funded, which means the group will not receive any funding.

General policy for registered student organizations to receive funding states even if they do not get approved for additional funding, they are still awarded $10,000 for routine operations. Vines motioned for the $10,000 be returned and used for ASM finance committee and travel grants. The motion passed unanimously and without debate.

“This grant is meant to fund a single employee and ensure that base level functions can still be achieved,” Vines said.

Green Fund bylaws approved

ASM heard and passed the Green Fund bylaw changes for the second time with a vote of 16-0-5.

The Green Fund is a grant designed to encourage sustainability on campus. Rep. Will Mulhern sponsored the Green Fund bylaw changes.

The bylaw changes will create a Green Fund Advisory Board, which will score applications for the grant.

Diversity Plan

University Affairs Chair Hannah Kinsella said the first draft of the campus diversity plan will be released on Monday. This copy will be distributed to the shared governance committees for review, she said.

“This draft should be in your inboxes next week,” Kinsella said. “Members of ASM and other shared governance committees are encouraged to write up any recommendations for changes to the draft.”

After a listening session, the draft will be revised, paying special attention to the recommendations provided by ASM, Kinsella said.