Semester that was: Chancellor Rebecca Blank aims to up UW reputation

Chancellor Rebecca Blank arrived at the University of Wisconsin this fall in a time of strained relations between the university and state Legislature.

With goals of increased funding, faculty retention and continuing the Wisconsin Idea, Blank said she came into her position with low expectations for state funding.

Nonetheless, Blank said she would advocate to keep current funding levels and also work to establish good communication and relationships with the Legislature.

Blank also advocated for a balance between affordable higher education and new revenue streams. To do so, she emphasized improving private donor funding.

Blank reiterated the importance of financial stability to maintain UW’s strength in research, education and retention of faculty and staff throughout the semester, specifically in light of the two-year tuition freeze.

However, Blank said she has interest in increasing out-of-state tuition to ensure the university is not “selling itself short” compared to peer institutions and to bring more funding to campus.