Race-based mascot bill passes Senate

Just before the legislators approved a bill that would change the process to address race-based mascots, nicknames and logos, Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, said she wanted to apologize to the 11 Native American tribes in Wisconsin.

Taylor sarcastically congratulated Senate Republicans on passing the bill during Native American Heritage Month. The bill passed 17-16, with all Democrats voting against passage along with Sen. Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, the only Republican to vote against the bill.

Bill author Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, said the bill was not about racism or discrimination, but about creating a fair process to hear grievances, which its critics did not address.

“A lot of this discussion wasn’t germane to the issue before us,” she said. “I generously and courteously listened to your comments and a lot of them were not germane to this bill today.”

Current law allows one person to file a complaint with the Department of Public Instruction before receiving a hearing, which the bill will change to requiring 10 percent of the school’s population to sign a petition before receiving a hearing.

Allowing race-based mascots, logos and nicknames to be used in schools is damaging to children, Sen. John Lehman, D-Racine, said.

Lehman said both the American Psychological Association and American Sociological Association adopted resolutions that called upon schools to end the use of American Indian mascots.

Taylor also spoke about her personal experiences as a female minority and added Wisconsin is a state that leads in racial disparities, something the bill would make worse.

“I could take us back to a time where my ancestors were called niggers,” Taylor said. “I hope you were all uncomfortable. It took awhile for us as a nation but you can’t call me a nigger and it’s okay. We should not be able to call them savages, redskins or even Indian.”

Sen. Mark Miller, D-Monona, said he will never know how it feels to be in a minority like Taylor does, but dealt with racial issues after his five-year old daughter of Japanese-American descent came home from school upset about names classmates had called her.

“I saw the pain and confusion in her face,” he said. “I had to explain about prejudice, about racism, about how these comments were not a reflection on her and her value as a human being, but a reflection on those who cast those hurtful words.”

Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, also requested for a vote to move his “Higher Ed, Lower Debt” bill to move out of committee and directly for a Senate vote, which did not pass by a vote of 19-16.

The bill, which is co-sponsored by Rep. Cory Mason, D-Racine, would create a state authority to provide counseling on student loans for students and parents, allow those paying back their debt to receive tax credits and create a ranking system for loan providers.

Sen. Tim Cullen, D-Janesville, was the only Democrat to vote against bringing the bill to the Senate directly.