10 Halloween costume suggestions for Wisconsin’s most newsworthy politicians

10 Halloween costume suggestions for Wisconsins most newsworthy politicians

Imagine some of the state’s most prominent politicians partying it up, Halloween style. Having trouble picturing their costumes? Never fear. The Badger Herald put together a list of some costume ideas in case of a last minute party at the Capitol.

1. Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, as Rosie the Riveter
politiciancostume1
As a former public policy director for Planned Parenthood, Taylor has expressed her outrage at the “humiliating and degrading” law passed over the summer requiring a woman to receive an ultrasound 24 hours before an abortion, making her a great candidate to dress up as women’s rights biggest symbol.

2. Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, as Orville Redenbacher
politiciancostume2
No better costume would be a better fit for Vos, a small-business owner who owns RoJo’s Popcorn in Burlington. Although, it might be awkward to dress up as a competitor…

3. Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, as Santa Claus
politiciancostume3
Though he lacks the jolly belly, Risser has been in the state Legislature since 1957 and has the wisdom and wrinkles to prove it, making him the Legislature’s closest match to Kris Kringle.

4. Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, as a pair of scissors
politiciancostume4
As a strong advocate for tax cuts, Grothman would be the perfect person to wear this costume. Besides his license plate of “TAX CUTR,” what better way to show his love of low taxes?

5. Rep. Melissa Sargent, D-Madison, as a “Raging Granny”
politiciancostume5
Sargent has a long time to go before she hits grandmother status, but after her 2011 arrest in the Capitol for protesting and allowing her children to hold up signs, she could join the ranks of the Raging Granny protesters often seen at the Capitol for the Solidarity Sing Along events.

6. Sen. Alberta Darling, R-River Hills, as Joe Camel
politiciancostume6
As an  advocate for smoking bans, what is more ironic than Joe Camel? At least the costume would be warm without having to light up.

7. Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, as a used car salesman
politiciancostume7
Hulsey demonstrated his love for his red convertible in a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel video, making him a prime candidate as the new endorser for the local Cadillac. Who knows? He could replace University of Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez in the future.

8. Rep. Jeff Stone, R-Greendale, as Vanity Fair photographer Annie Leibovitz
politiciancostume8
Who better than the sponsor of multiple voter ID bills to be pop culture’s most well-known photographer? As long as he’s taking pictures for people’s licenses and not Miley Cyrus with a bed sheet.

9. Senate Minority Leader Chris Larson, D-Milwaukee, as Usain Bolt
politiciancostume9
As the Senate Minority Leader, Larson “leads” the pack of Democrats and would make a great Usain Bolt. He’s already run 21 marathons and plans to run one in each state, so it looks like Bolt has 21 marathons to catch up to Larson.

10. Gov. Scott Walker as an airplane pilot
politiciancostume10
During his term, Walker has traveled for various political and state functions to Michigan, Iowa, Ohio and even China. I wonder how many frequent flier miles he’s racked up already…enough to get him another flight with complimentary hot ham and rolls?

Original photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, The Badger Herald, Cap Times, and Flickr users Stephen Malagodi and Bonnie Dean. Art by Andy Fate.