“Capitol Bucky” offended by impostor remarks

After “Capitol Bucky” appeared at the Solidarity Singers protest last Monday, the University of Wisconsin was quick to clear the air: That Bucky is not the official Buckingham U. Badger and is not a representative of the university.

In an email to the Capital Times, Capitol Bucky said all other Buckys are the real impostors in an attempt to prove his authenticity as the “People’s Bucky.”

“The real Bucky is the People’s Bucky,” Capitol Bucky said in the email. “The real Bucky stands with ordinary Wisconsin working folks, not with weasel politicians. The real Bucky basks in the JOY of the beautiful people of the Solidarity Sing Along.”

However, a statement from the university said Bucky is not political and only attends goodwill events with the UW spirit in mind.

Capitol Bucky did not agree, including pictures of Buckys “cavorting with GOP politicians” in his email.

Bucky Badger has appeared at events at the Capitol before, typically for non-partisan, educational events to do outreach with members of both parties, Vince Sweeney, a UW spokesperson, said.

Bucky Badger is available through the spirit squad to appear at different events but there is a screening process to ensure Bucky does not appear at political events, Cindy Van Matre, UW licensing director, said.

“When [Bucky] does go to the capitol, he greets politicians on both sides of the aisle,” Van Matre said.

Capitol Bucky is rumpled, with puffy features, odd coloring and a sloppy sweater, the UW statement said. However, the individual posing as Capitol Bucky disagreed.

“Though Bucky does admit that he looks a little worse for wear, he’s been battered by events in his beloved state over the last two years,” Capitol Bucky said in his email. “The union busting really busted him up. And now the lovely Penokees, one of his favorite parts of the state, will be turned into an open pit mine. Bucky’s really been through the grinder. After such events, wouldn’t you look worse for wear?”

Whether he is rightfully the People’s Bucky or not, the Capitol Bucky’s days appear to be numbered.

UW has found a website they believe may be the source of the costume, Van Matre said. A UW licensing agent is going to send a cease and desist to the website, she said.