Urban Design Commission approves new building

A city committee granted approval Wednesday to a new apartment building on West Washington Avenue that developers hope could be ready for tenants by August 2014.

The building on 425 W. Washington Ave. will house 50 apartment units and 8,000 square feet of retail space, which will include a local optometrist shop and a Capital Fitness gym.

Mike May, chair of the Bassett Neighborhood Steering Committee, worked with developers throughout the design process and said the project meets many of the neighborhood’s requests, as well as those of Urban Design Commission members.

In order to get approval, May said the project had to be “exceptionally” designed, so there is still work to be done, particularly on aspects like garden landscaping, signs for the area and garage height. May also said the committee raised concerns the current designs lacked enough parking to accomodate the fitness center.

John Sutton, one of the architects for the project, said he believes there was a larger spotlight on the project because it is the first one to apply under the new city zoning code as well as the Downtown Plan.

“I believe the design is exceptional,” Sutton said. “It is because of the intelligence and thoughtfulness of the designs.”

He said the housing units will likely be geared towards professionals rather than students.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said many developments that are not immediately adjacent to campus are usually marketed toward the “young professional” demographic. However, Verveer said he still believes some students will live in the building and developers hope to open it in time for student move-in next August.

May used a baseball analogy to describe the project, saying while it has made progress, it has not yet made a home run.

“This project has worked very closely with you and the neighborhood to move ahead,” he said.

UDC voted to approve the project. However, the developers will have to meet with committee members to work out the final details after they meet with the Plan Commission. If that commission approves the project, the City Council will also need to green-light the plan before construction begins.

Verveer said three other designs for the same space have been proposed during the last few years, and this design has the highest chance of approval.

“This is the best of the three designs,” Verveer said.

UDC also approved a redevelopment located at 222 and 224 State St. where the office space would be converted into apartment units.

The committee also deferred a decision on a four-story, 74-unit apartment complex that would also be geared toward young professionals on Mills Street. The project would require the demolition of five other residential buildings.

Multiple residents and committee members expressed concerns at the meeting that the building, which would be near Meriter Hospital, did not match the character of the neighborhood.