Man wanted by FBI found in Madison after manhunt

Local and national law enforcement agencies led a manhunt Thursday that ended with the police taking a fugitive into custody who was wanted by the FBI for violating parole and for questioning in a federal murder investigation. 

The hunt ended shortly after 7 p.m., when the Madison Police Department took Paris Poe into custody on Highway 30 during a traffic stop, MPD Lt. Cory Nelson said. He said he was unsure of how long Poe had been in Madison and why Poe chose to come to Madison.

According to a FBI statement, 33-year-old Poe last lived in Chicago and was convicted of aggravated battery and robbery in the Chicago area in 2009. He was released in 2011 and was supposed to serve parole, but he violated his parole and left the state, the statement said.

Nelson said Poe is wanted for questioning in a federal murder investigation.

The FBI was offering an award of up to $20,000 for any tips that would lead to Poe’s arrest, the statement said. On April 17, Poe was charged by federal and Illinois law enforcement with unlawful flight to avoid confinement, the statement said.

The statement said Poe should be considered armed and dangerous. 

“[MPD] adamantly appreciated all citizens who called in to provide leads,” Nelson said.