Selig to visit UW Campus

The University of Wisconsin School of Business will host Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig to deliver the keynote address of Ethics Week Tuesday at the Plenary Room in Grainger Hall.

According to a UW statement, Selig will give a talk titled “Perspectives on Ethical Leadership – A View from the Commissioner” at 5:30 p.m. and will answer questions after his address.

Morgan Melka, UW senior and leader on the speaker committee for Ethics Week, said Selig will discuss ethics from the perspective of an influential leader, drawing from his own experiences with ethical issues.

Selig is a 1956 UW graduate and has served as the MLB Commissioner since 1998.

She added the Integrated Master of Accountancy program, the organization that plans Ethics Week, selected Selig to speak because they wanted to include a wider audience in the business school and promote interest in ethics.

Andrea Willette, also a senior in the IMAcc program, said Ethics Week is an annual event but this year the IMAcc is hoping to reach more than just accounting students and students in the program.

“Since Bud Selig is well-known for something other than the traditional accounting route, it is our hope that having him speak will attract a wider range of students and spread the importance of ethics,” Willette said.

Melka also reflected on the program’s goal to target a broader base of students.

She said although the program particularly targets those in the business school, participation is open to everyone.

“Being able to bring in such a successful, well-known professional, has so far attracted more people and is getting them excited about ethics,” Melka said. “[This is] something that is not easily done.”

Melka added Selig’s visit to campus is only a small part of Ethics Week. Today, Lori Cross will visit the Morgridge Auditorium in Grainger Hall to speak about neuro-leadership and Wednesday, IMAcc will show the film “Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room” in Grainger Hall.

She also said they will set up tables in the business school to teach people more about the BBA honor code, the Ethics Board Statement of Values and how students can prepare themselves for future ethical dilemmas.

Both Willette and Melka agreed Ethics Week helps to show how good ethics establish the foundation of successful business.

“Ethics Week is an opportunity for the business school to recognize the importance of ethics and remember our own values,” Melka said. “Since it is not a core part of our classes, the accounting department with the help of the Howard Carver Ethics and Professionalism Program brings awareness to the importance of ethics.”