UW researcher found with marijuana

A University of Wisconsin researcher was arrested Monday on charges of allegedly growing marijuana on campus. 

A UW Police Department statement said officers arrested UW researcher Christopher Schwartz following an investigation that found the marijuana plants in the Biochemistry building. After investigating the drug manufacturing, UWPD concluded that the UW researcher was responsible for the marijuana found on campus.

“Detectives from UWPD spoke with Schwartz and learned that there was additional evidence of marijuana production and use at his residence of the West side of the City of Madison,” the statement said.

UWPD spokesperson Sgt. Aaron Chapin declined to comment on the specifics of the charges and noted that in general, charges vary when dealing with marijuana usage and possession.

Chapin said all marijuana possession, use and manufacturing is illegal, punishable by monetary or criminal restitution. 

The statement said the investigation will continue, and the full force of charges Schwartz will face has yet to be determined. 

“This investigation is continuing and additional charges may be forthcoming,” the statement said.

Schwartz is currently booked in Dane County Jail and is being held there while charges are being requested from the Dane County District Attorney Office. Schwartz is held on one felony count of Manufacturing and Delivering THC, according to the statement.

Chapin said one of the strongest factors that will come into play will be whether or not Schwartz has any criminal history.

“Past criminal history is taken into account for every single case,” Chapin said.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, noted that although Madison is considered a liberal community, that fact should not impact this case.

“We are a fairly liberal community, so when it comes to recreational marijuana, we tend to be fairly lax,” Resnick said. “However, that doesn’t really go toward the point of a UW employee using school equipment and resources to grow marijuana.”

UWPD Lt. Mark Silbernagel said the departments has seen several marijuana and other drug issues on the UW campus.

He added regarding the issue of marijuana use, the city of Madison can be seen as comparable to any other college campus or metropolitan area.

“Madison, just like any other similar size college campuses or similar size metropolitan areas, is not immune to marijuana or other drug issues,” Silbernagel said.

Chapin and Silbernagel declined to comment further on the specifics of Schwartz’s case.