Crime in Brief

MIFFLIN STREET BLOCK PARTY

This year’s block party resulted in fewer violent crimes this year, but more arrests, according to a report from MPD after the event.

The report said the total number of attendees at the event was greatly reduced, with 5,000 estimated at the block party as compared to 20,000 to 25,000 in 2011.

According to MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain, Central District Captain Carl Gloede indicated when all the numbers were tallied there would be over 500 total citations issued.

Most citations given out were for open intoxicants, followed by underage drinking, trespassing and depositing human waste, the report said. Three hundred ninety-three people were arrested and cited as of 7 p.m. May 5.

“At this point they are still pulling things together for the final numbers,” DeSpain said.

FAHRENBROOK COURT

Battery

Two Minnesota men were victims of a battery in a Fahrenbrook Court courtyard Sunday morning, according to a Madison Police Department report.

The report said the two victims were taken to a hospital early Sunday morning after one victim was knocked to the ground while being kicked and punched by several men.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he would not be surprised that some of the incidents occurred as a result of the Mifflin Street Block Party weekend.

Verveer also said, although he has no idea if the victims or suspects attended the block party, police reports said some victims in other locations were also from out of town.

COLLEGE COURT

Battery

During a fight on College Court early Saturday morning, a 19-year-old man was knocked unconscious, a police report said.

The report said there were two groups of men involved in this dispute. A friend of the victim reported two men in the other group continuously kicked the victim after he was on the ground.

“While we do see periodic fights on campus, in general we do see campus as a safe place,” Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said.

He said he believes the best course of action when one sees individuals who are intoxicated or a bit too rowdy is to call the police department.

Police offers are trained to separate individuals before things do break out or before any punches are actually thrown, Resnick said.

WEST WASHINGTON

Robbery

A 24-year-old woman was robbed at gunpoint on early Sunday morning, with the suspect taking her cell phone, according to an MPD report. 

According to a Madison police report, the woman was walking on the 700 block of W. Washington St. when a man approached her and asked to use her phone. When she tried to hand it to him, he knocked it from her hand and pulled a gun on her before stealing her phone and fleeing the scene.

“The fights and the robbery obviously all happened over the weekend either Friday or Saturday night, and given the large number or people gathering at the block party, I do believe that they certainly could be related to the party,” Verveer said.