UWPD stands guard at ASM meeting following online threat

The University of Wisconsin administration and Police Department are investigating an apparent safety threat against “those in power and those with perceived power” posted anonymously on Tuesday in the online comments of a Badger Herald article.

Associate Dean of Students Kevin Helmcamp said officials deemed the threat to be credible based on its specificity, adding they have informed UWPD in an attempt to determine the individual’s identity and the intent of the comment. The threat was brought to officials after a member of the Herald’s editorial staff notified UW Communications.

Helmkamp added they do not know who is responsible for the comment, which was posted at around 8 a.m. on an article detailing the Student Services Finance Committee’s Monday vote that found the Multicultural Student Coalition intentionally violated a Wisconsin and UW policy. It was removed at roughly 11 a.m.

At this time, officials are also unsure if the individual in question is a student or non-student, Helmkamp said.

The user’s IP address indicates the comment was posted just east of Vilas Park. No other comments have previously been posted from the IP address on the Herald’s website.

Helmkamp added similar, threatening comments on electronic and social media sites are somewhat frequent on campus and can harm the campus climate.

“I think … when somebody makes a comment like this it really damages the community as a whole because then folks aren’t at ease and it’s very hard for the community to grapple with it,” Helmkamp said. “It’s not just the individuals involved who feel threatened by this kind of commentary.”

Following the online comment, SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said UWPD will monitor Associated Students of Madison and committee meetings. Members are also being advised to walk home with others, she said. UWPD officers were present at Tuesday night’s special ASM meeting, which was slated to potentially take up the MCSC funding decision.

“I was really worried,” Neibart said. “It’s incredibly important for students on this campus that they feel safe … and if their safety is not upheld it’s incredibly worrying to me.”

Helmkamp said it is important for students and members throughout the campus community to notify the Division of Student Life or UWPD when they see threatening comments. Following notification, he said UW administrators take steps to intervene and resolve the situation.

UWPD Sgt. Aaron Chapin added people are less likely to post inappropriate or threatening messages when they are not allowed to comment anonymously, which can also make it easier for police to track who is making the threats.

“I think the action of removing the comment is the most that can be done at this point,” Chapin said. “That’s one of the challenges with blogs and online postings.”

Helmkamp said officials hope to determine the comment was not a threat and take steps to ease tensions, but are currently working to do what is best for the campus community.

Higher Education Editor Katie Caron contributed to this story.