Go Big Read to teach inovation

University of Wisconsin’s common campus reading program will continue next year with another new book and theme in the effort to bring together the campus community through literature.

Interim Chancellor David Ward chose “Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie, A Tale of Love and Fallout,” by Pulitzer Prize-nominated author Lauren Redniss, to be next year’s “Go Big Read” book.

Sarah McDaniel, a coordinator in the library and information literacy instruction program, said Ward asked the committee to think about choosing a book based on the theme of innovation, but gave them more room to choose from different disciplines that might represent the theme, including art, science and business.

“‘Radioactive’ embodies innovation and the wonder of discovery,” Ward said in a statement announcing the book Monday afternoon. “This book will inspire dynamic discussions across the campus community about the power people have to change the world.”

She added they asked the public to submit suggestions for books, which the committee then picked about 20 titles to divide and read before giving their recommendations to the chancellor.

The book combines different subjects, allowing various instructors and organizations around campus an opportunity to promote both creative and scientific assignments and events, McDaniel said.

“We hope that it will bring together conversations across disciplines, so we hope that artists will be talking to scientists … and get the book talked about in a lot of different classes,” McDaniel said.

According to the statement, the book is a “mash-up” of a love story, graphic novel and science textbook, telling the history of the Curies in a new way.

McDaniel added Ward encouraged the program to continue, following former Chancellor Biddy Martin’s inception of “Go Big Read,” and was excited about getting students together to read the book.

With the new book, the project will continue to motivate students to read for pleasure and connect various members of campus, she added.

“Because we have such a big campus with so much going on, there aren’t a lot of common experiences that people have together,” McDaniel said. “The other thing was trying to bring together campus, students and the community so a lot of other people join us in reading the books.”