Alvarez Apologizes for remarks about Rose Bowl victim

University of Wisconsin Athletic Director Barry Alvarez apologized for comments he made about allegations surrounding former Associate Athletic Director John Chadima after a Dane County official called on him to retract his statements.

In an interview with the Wisconsin State Journal in late March, Alvarez questioned the statements of a former football player, who said in a report released by UW he locked himself in a bathroom in Chadima’s house when Chadima offered him alcoholic beverages and made sexual advances.

“Was that the accusation from a so-called ex-football player who had to lock himself in a closet to hide from John? I would question a lot of what was said,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez also told the State Journal the former player likely confused the athletic training room with a nearby equipment area, where alcohol and mixers purchased with booster funds were stored and taken on trips.

Sup. Carousel Andrea Bayrd, District 8, said Alvarez’s statements mocked and belittled a sexual assault victim in a letter to Alvarez and Chancellor David Ward March 26.

“I expect both Alvarez and the university to take allegations of sexual misconduct with the highest level of concern,” Bayrd said. “This should be especially true when the allegation is against an employee in a position of authority.”

She said Alvarez’s statement was offensive because it insults and mocks a victim for running away, when instead the victim kept his wits about him and made the right decision to remove himself from a dangerous situation.

Bayrd added she believed Alvarez was cavalier and did the exact opposite of demonstrating UW’s commitment to protecting students and encouraging reporting of even minor concerns.

“It is acceptable for Alvarez to have a personal opinion as to the accuracy of the accusation, but it is not appropriate for Alvarez to bully the alleged victim as not being man enough by locking himself in a closet,” Bayrd said.

However, Alvarez said Chadima’s actions in serving alcohol at a party in California for Athletic Department staff during the Badger’s trip to the Rose Bowl was unapproved, adding “he overstepped his boundary.”

The allegations were part of a series of two independent reports from UW detailing allegations of three individuals who said Chadima made sexual advances toward them during his tenure at the university.

In a letter dated April 3, Alvarez apologized for his statements regarding the allegations of sexual misconduct.

“I’d like to apologize if I offended anyone – including the alleged victim – with my comments,” Alvarez said.

He added UW takes allegations seriously and has encouraged members of the community to report incidents.

He also said that through placing Chadima on administrative leave immediately and independently investigating the allegations, UW has demonstrated how seriously it views the case.

“I would like to say that the behaviors described by those who have come forward and the investigators are shocking to me on a personal and professional level,” Alvarez said.

He added his experience with Chadima has been positive, and the events of the past months have caused him great sadness for the victims, Chadima himself, for UW and the Athletic Department.