St. Croix Bridge to connect Wisconsin, Minnesota

The United States Congress passed a bill Thursday allowing the start of construction of a new bridge connecting Wisconsin and Minnesota over the St. Croix River.

The measure received bipartisan support in the House of Representatives with 339 in favor and 80 opposed, while the Senate gave unanimous approval. For the legislation to be officially enacted, President Barack Obama must first sign the measure, which he is expected to do, according to a statement from Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis.

The project is expected to cost nearly $700 million, according to Bill Harper, chief of staff for Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minn.

Because the bridge will cover the territories of Wisconsin and Minnesota, Gov. Scott Walker and Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton agreed to split the costs, which will not require any new federal government funding, Rep. Ron Kind, D-Wis., said in a statement.

The land on which the bridge will be built is protected under the Wild Scenic Rivers Act. Due to the site being under federal protection, Congressional approval was needed before construction could begin.

The new bridge, though in a different location, will replace the responsibilities of the Stillwater Bridge, which extends over the St. Croix River, Baldwin said in the statement.

The statement cited numerous deficiencies in the current bridge that include its “high potential for flooding” and “unsafe design” that may cause it to collapse should one of its trusses fall.

Leah Hunter, spokesperson for Kind, said in an email to The Badger Herald that the Stillwater Bridge was closed last year due to excessive flooding.

“A new bridge would address critical safety and transportation needs as well as bring increased economic development to a fast growing area,” Hunter said.

After the construction, the Stillwater Bridge will be used solely as a bicycle and pedestrian trail, Harper said.

The construction is also predicted to create 6,000 jobs in the area, according to Hunter.

“The passage of this bill means that we’ll finally be able to meet the growing transportation needs of the St. Croix River Valley and support continued economic development in the region,” Kind said in the statement.

Wisconsin state Sen. Sheila Harsdorf, R-River Falls, applauded the legislation in a statement, saying the bridge will provide needed safety requirements and allow for better transportation ability for emergency vehicles.
Although McCollum supports building a new bridge, she believes the project is too large and distracts efforts away from other structures that need attention.

“In Minnesota we have more than 1,100 [structurally] deficient bridges, and what this legislation did was pick one bridge, spend $700 million – saying essentially, ‘Ignore the remainder,'” Harper said.

Environmental concerns are also at the forefront of McCollum dissent of the recent legislation. Harper said the new legislation endangers every other protective river in the country.

Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., commended Congress in a statement for allowing states to dictate their own transportation spending.

“Congress was right to prevent this project from being delayed further due to unnecessary litigation and an expansive reading of the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act,” Ryan said.