Activist launches run in Fitzgerald recall election

Lori Compas, one of the organizers behind the effort to recall Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, declared her candidacy to run against Fitzgerald in a Tuesday press conference, saying she would run on her desire to return to an honest government.

In the public announcement, Compas presented a platform inspired by the concerns she heard while talking to people in the district, such as job creation, affordable access to health care and restoration of open government.

“This movement isn’t about me … it’s about all of us,” Compas said. “It’s about our belief that people should matter more than money. It’s about our expectation that government should be open and honest. It’s about the simple belief that our legislators should work hard on our behalf and represent us honorably.” 

Compas said she chose to announce her candidacy at the Jefferson Area Business Center, a member of the Wisconsin Business Incubation Association, because of the center’s efforts to foster local job creation by encouraging small businesses and entrepreneurship.

She also said she does not intend to raise the amount of money that Fitzgerald has in preparing for a recall.

“This campaign has strength money can’t buy,” Compas said. “My strength to serve in the Senate comes from a willingness to listen and respond to constituent concerns. It comes from my ability to cooperate and find common ground. My strength comes from the inspirational courage of a thousand volunteers.”

In a statement following her announcement, Compas was optimistic about her chances of winning the election. She also negated people’s doubts regarding her inexperience by pointing out Fitzgerald never held public office before running for this same seat 17 years ago. 

Compas is currently the only candidate to have filed papers to the Government Accountability Board to run against Fitzgerald.

The 16,742 signatures collected to trigger a recall against Fitzgerald are currently under inspection by the GAB, which is scheduled for completion by March 19.

University of Wisconsin political science professor Barry Burden said unless there are additional court challenges or the board requests more time for verification, Fitzgerald’s recall will be made official on that day.

Burden said it looks as though Compas would be the only candidate to challenge Fitzgerald and she has filed a void in the 13th District the Democrats have not addressed until now. 

He added the Democrats previously announced opponents for the other three districts where recalls are likely to take place.

According to Burden, the playing field would be stacked against Compas. If the recall election takes place, Compas will be running against one of the most powerful politicians in the state in a district that leans Republican.

“It does not appear that she has much campaign experience,” Burden said. “It would be a major coup for the Democrats if she were able to defeat him. It was even a surprise that her organization managed to collect what appears to be enough signatures for the recall.”  

The State Senate Democratic Committee released a statement following Compas’ announcement, thanking Compas for leading the effort against Fitzgerald.

The committee emphasized Compas’ ability to energize her community and her broad range of appeal to Democrats, independents and Republicans.