SSFC votes down Union, Rec Sports budget proposals

ssfc_MM

Members of a branch of the University of Wisconsin student government voted Thursday to reject budget proposals for both the Wisconsin Union and Recreational Sports.

Committee members of Student Services Finance Committee raised concerns about the lack transparency and accountability associated with both budgets. 

“These are student fees that we are given no control over because they are pooled into a pot,” Rep. Tia Nowack said about the Wisconsin Union budget. “There is no working together on this budget.”

While some committee members expressed appreciation that the Union provided them with more information since the original budget hearing on Monday, some said they still felt the information was not enough.

SSFC Rep. Justin Gerstner thanked the Union for cooperating with SSFC in providing the body with more detailed information but said the with the state of the budget the committee was not at the point where a decision could be made.

Nowack said she wanted to be clear that her vote was note against the union itself.

“It’s not a vote against the Union; I support the Union and the people that work for the Union, especially students,” she said. “We just don’t have adequate information on the budget.”

In a budget recommendation letter to the chancellor, Board of Regents and UW administrators, the committee said it is requesting more itemization and specification of line items in the budget.

Wisconsin Union representative Katie Fischer said the union hopes to continue working with SSFC and respects the committee’s decision to deny the budget and submit the budget recommendation.

Following the decision to vote down the Union’s $9 million budget, committee members debated the Rec Sports budget and raised concerns similar to those  regarding the Union’s budget.

Rec Sports planned to utilize the $2 million requested for equipment repair and facility management, SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said.

Rep. Cale Plamann said the problem with the budget was not a question of money, but of process. He said that he believed the Rec Sports budget was clear but lacked adequate information. He also added the same could not be said about the union’s budget, citing what he called “vague titles” in the union’s budget for large sums.

Neibart noted in addition to the group’s inadequate budget, in the past SSFC has advised Rec Sports to restructure its board, but the organization has not taken any steps to do so.

“It shows that the recommendations of SSFC don’t follow through; shared governance is not happening, and there is no consultation,” Neibart said. “Students have to have involvement and the ability to be engaged in this budget.”

Following the decision to disallow the two budget proposals, the committee passed a motion to contact Interim Chancellor David Ward with budget recommendations for both Rec Sports and the Union.

“Both units should be funded if they offer valuable services, but we are not comfortable making this decision unless the governance process is adhered to,” Neibart said. “It’s time for student leaders to stick up for students on campus, and I think SSFC is doing that.”

During the meeting, SSFC also voted to pass the WSUM budget, increasing the station’s budget by less than one percent.