Recall cost may work to Walker’s favor, expert says

The state of Wisconsin has once again become the stage for political drama as efforts to recall the governor and four Republican legislators start moving, and members from both parties say they are confident they can get the momentum needed for victory.

On Tuesday, Democrats in the state began handing out petitions as a part of a 60-day process to gain the more than the 500,000 signatures necessary to recall Gov. Scott Walker.

Walker said Wednesday he will fundraise as much as needed to keep his position at the Capitol. Walker maintained the legislation he pushed for earlier this year on collective bargaining was consistent with his campaign platform.

Walker’s capacity to fundraise unlimited amounts does give him an advantage over challengers, Democratic Party Chairman Mike Tate said to the Associated Press. But Tate said ultimately what the state thinks of Walker’s performance will prevail.

University of Wisconsin political science professor Donald Downs said a majority of Wisconsinites are in favor of a recall against the governor.

He said the big question looming over all the recall efforts is how many Wisconsinites will actually sign petitions and vote against Walker and the senators in a potential elections. While it is still too early to tell, he said, Walker appears worse off now than he did several months ago.

However, Downs, an adviser for The Badger Herald, said a statewide recall of a governor is unprecedented, and more moderate voters may be hesitant to participate in a vote before the next regular gubernatorial election.

Another growing concern for the recall effort will be the cost to the state.

Downs said recalls could cost Wisconsin as much as $12 million. The more expensive the recall becomes, he said, the more hesitant voters may be to the concept of a recall in general, which would provide a cushion for Republicans in office.

Additionally, recall efforts against four senators – Sen. Pam Galloway, R-Wausau, Sen. Van Wanggaard, R-Racine, Sen. Terry Moulton, R-Chippewa Falls and Majority Leader Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau – seek to reach approximately 15,000 petition signatures each in the same 60-day period.

In a recent statement by Wanggaard, the senator said the recall effort against him and his fellow senators is an attempt to derail the positive changes the Republican-led Capitol has created.

“I am disappointed that the Democrats, out-of-state union bosses and professional protestors have decided to launch a recall effort against me,” Wanggaard said in the statement. “They have been trying to overturn the 2010 elections for almost a year now, and it’s clear they will stop at nothing to return to the days of high taxes, runaway spending and job killing policies.”

Wanggaard said he will continue to focus on passing legislation instilling job creation and economic growth despite the potential distraction of a recall.

Democratic Party of Wisconsin spokesperson Graeme Zielinski said the recall effort is so far exceeding expectations.

He said the claim these efforts are merely a distraction is inconsistent with the large amount of Wisconsinites in opposition to the policies of Walker and Republicans, specifically in relation to the limitations on collective bargaining created last spring.

“If Scott Walker is such a popular governor and his plans to destroy our state are so right, why not put it to a vote? Why not have the people of Wisconsin have their voices heard”? Zielinski said.

A recall of the senators, he said, may be easier to obtain than a recall against the governor because those petitions require fewer signatures and the state already experienced senatorial recall elections this summer. However, he said the desire to recall the governor is statewide, making signatures easier to find.

-The Associated Press contributed to this report.