House erupts in late-night session

The Wisconsin State Assembly erupted into chaos during what were meant to be the final hours of a special session on jobs early Friday morning after a long democratic caucus and repeated disturbances from observers in the gallery.

After being called back early from caucus, the second of the session, at around 1:30 a.m., Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, lashed out at Republican members of the Assembly after they had passed a bill on the employment of unpardoned felons without the full presence of the Democratic party and ending the caucus before the Democrats were finished.

Barca yelled at the Republicans, calling their tactics disgusting and disrespectful to the legislative process.

“I ask [the Republicans] and your senior members to cite a time when they were treated this way as a minority. This is an abuse of power,” Barca said.

Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, lashed back, citing an instance in a prior budget session before Gov. Scott Walker took office and calling the Democratic caucus disorganized.

“It’s not our fault you cannot control your caucus,” Fitzgerald said. “These bills will get passed either now or in January. You need to make a decision and find the unity you supposedly had on Tuesday.”

During Fitzgerald’s speech, a member of the viewing gallery stood up and shouted across the assembly chamber that the members were holding an “abortion of justice” and stormed out of the gallery.

Then immediately following that exit, another member of the gallery shouted “fuck you” at Fitzgerald forcing the Speaker to clear everyone out of the gallery and lock it for the remainder of the session.

Shortly there after, there was a third Democratic caucus called and the public in the vestibule was asked to leave the area.

One Capitol police officer said it was a matter of making sure the area immediately outside of the Assembly floor was clear for Assembly member safety.

The observers who caused the disruption appeared to be intoxicated and were escorted from the Capitol. However, those asked to leave the vestibule included Representative guests, aids and the family of one representative waiting for the end of session.

Earlier in the night Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison and Rep. Robin Vos, R-Burlington, engaged in a heated debate over two jobs bills. Pocan said it was sad that in a special session on jobs the two bills were the first about jobs.

Vos responded by saying the Democratic plans spent too much government money and that is not how the Republican party planned to create jobs and calling the democratic party fiscally irresponsible.

The first of the two bills was going to grant small businesses more money through the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority. But the bill was sent back to the Senate.

The second bill was a bill to create a program that would allow unemployed or future workers to be trained. That bill was sent back for review.

As of print time the Assembly was scheduled to reconvene around 2:30 a.m. to continue to the end of the regular session and into the special session.