OccupyMadison to host local rally

View “Occupy Wall Street” Points of Interest in a larger map

University of Wisconsin students and Madison residents will rally in Reynolds Park Friday in protest against corporation-run government as a part of the OccupyMadison movement.

Friday’s protest represents the Wisconsin branch’s contribution to the OccupyWallSt. protests that have been raging in the financial district of New York throughout the last few weeks. The OccupyTogether campaign, which both movements are a part of, will be held in 24 cities during the next few months.

According to OccupyTogether’s mission statement, the movement is made up of a diverse group of people that “are the 99 percent and will no longer stand for the greed and corruption of the [one] percent.”

David Gilbert, a volunteer for the protest in Madison, said the group is hoping to get the attention of local and national government and demonstrate that the wealthy and the bank corporations should be held responsible for the state of the economy.

“We really want to represent the entire 99 percent of the workforce in America,” Gilbert said. “It’s our mission to show that we as organized people have a voice and will fight against the corruption that has led to the [economic] state we’re in.”

Gilbert said he has no target number of protests for Friday’s movement, but the event’s Facebook page lists 221 attendees as confirmed, with more than 2,100 members following the group.

Still, Gilbert said the group is hoping for a higher turnout, adding “the more people, the more our voices will be heard.”

Edward LaVallie, the acting OccupyTogether liaison for the Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison area, said the movement is about more than just giving the working class a break.

“I feel strongly about what what’s happening in New York. The top one percent is controlling our government and taking away our free speech,” LaVallie said. “Someone needs to be held accountable for what has happened to our country.”

He urges people to get involved, even if it is simply coming to the rally and saying they will not stand for the kind of corruption that has changed our country.

LaVallie added that the media is only just beginning to understand this is a national movement. He said the movement may start small like the meetings in Madison and Milwaukee but said those who participate have the potential to really make a difference.

The OccupyMadison is supported in solidarity by a number of organizations including U.S. Uncut Wisconsin, a group advocating for taxes on the richest U.S. citizens.

OccupyWisconsin also receives support through other sources, Gilbert said.

“The movement is funded by donations,” he said. “Some of these are monetary, but most are through individuals who use their time and skills, not money, to forward the campaign.”

The rally will continue until the campaign resources such as food or volunteers are unable to keep the protest going.

Members of the City of Madison’s government were not able to be reached for comment, but LaVillie said that he has not heard any efforts to stop the protests from the city or the state of Wisconsin.