Humorology to be ‘better than ever’

humo_fileBB
This year’s annual Humorology performance will raise money for Camp Heartland, a charity that helps children affected by HIV/AIDS.[/media-credit]

The Greek community’s capstone philanthropy entertainment event is back on campus this week, and organizers say it is “better than ever.”

The annual Humorology production, which includes six miniature musicals and nearly 300 performers from the University of Wisconsin Greek community, is a competition which donates funds raised to OneHeartland, a Minnesota summer camps for children affected by HIV/AIDS.

Roz Thompson, a Humorology spokesperson, said campus fraternities and sororities will compete in the show and managed to raise nearly $20,000 for the cause from ticket sales and other philanthropy events last year.

She said 15 Greek organizations are involved in the production, with students directing, arranging music and choreographing dancing numbers for the show.

Performers are typically not involved in UW theater programs, so she said all audiences tend to enjoy the unique experience of the show.

While winning the competition lends pride to the victorious Greek group, Thompson said the more important goal is raising funds for a worthy cause of helping send underprivileged children to a camp where they can feel accepted, regardless of their diagnosis.

“It’s such a unique and entertaining experience,” she said. “It’s always rewarding to see people do something for the community.”

Anonymous judges will be present at all shows, weighing honors ranging from best female vocalist to best a capella performance, with winners will be announced on Saturday.

Adam Geiger, a member of the Humorology Executive Board, said work on the production begins shortly after school lets out every year when fraternities and sororities find out their cast pairings.

Beginning over the summer, organizers begin gathering general ideas, and the tryout process to join casts begins in December. He said by the time rehearsals begin with six hours of practice a week, casts of around 40 members a technology crew and a live band are also added to the production.

Geiger said in the final run up to the performances, casts will hold practice from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. every night and members of the Executive Board spend six hours a night in the theater to help facilitate last minute changes.

There are usually around four student directors for each musical, he said, who are charged with the duty of rewriting the words to popular songs as well as designing the sets and costumes for the show.

He said the first half of the show consists of four musical numbers, with each musical required to include three or four scenes, a dance break and an a capella performance.

Audience members can also expect plenty of pop culture references in the show, he said, including potential references to Gov. Scott Walker or Disney character cameos.

Geiger said the hefty time commitment tends to prove rewarding for members of the productions.

“Cast members get the ability to be comfortable in front of a crowd, and members of the board get to see a concept through to full production,” he said. “It should be fun for people to come see.”

Humorology performances will run Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union Theater. Tickets are $20 for students with an ID and $30 for general admission.