Tens of thousands supporting, opposing bill protest at Capitol

rally1_MM
Supporters for both conservative and labor-associated groups marched around the Capitol in gigantic numbers Friday and Saturday.[/media-credit]

As rallies in opposition to the governor’s budget repair bill continued to draw tens of thousands to the Capitol, the appearance of a famed civil rights activist and a conservative rally in support of the proposal were marked by continued peaceful protests.

Although an estimated 70,000 were in attendance for Rev. Jesse Jackson’s address to protesters Friday night, no arrests or major incidents were reported, said Capitol Police spokesperson Carla Vigue.

Protesters greeted Jackson by singing “We Shall Overcome,” an anthem harkening back to Martin Luther King Jr.’s civil rights battle more than 50 years ago.

Jackson said workers have the right to be at the collective bargaining table and the activism of protesters is part of what makes America great, urging protesters to continue fighting for their human rights.

“We have never lost a battle we have fought,” he said. “When we fight, we win.”

He also said the rest of the world was watching the conflict in Wisconsin and the battle was also necessary for the 49 million Americans living in poverty and 69 million without health care.

Jackson advocated a “bottom-up” and not simply “top-down” approach to legislation and said the battle for collective bargaining rights was one that transcends race and promotes unity among protesters.

He compared the fight in Wisconsin for workers’ rights to the activism required to promote integration in Birmingham during the civil rights movement, during which Jackson’s involvement earned him King’s attention.

After days of protesting in staunch opposition to Gov. Scott Walker’s proposal, conservatives and Tea Party members hosted a rally in support of the governor’s bill Saturday.

Herman Cain, a right-wing radio talk show host, said he knew President Barack Obama was watching the events in Wisconsin unfold on television because he had found time to watch the revolution in Cairo’s Tahrir Square.

He accused Obama of sending in his “cronies” and union supporters to help organize the campaign against the governor’s proposal in Madison.

He also said Walker’s supporters are not racist, do not make threats with their protest signs and do not get arrested like some union supporters did earlier last week.

Cain urged Obama not to allow the United States of America to become the “United States of Europe” regarding aspects workers’ rights and government spending.

Conservative blogger and pundit Andrew Breitbart also questioned the morality of the union protesters and their methods of protesting the governor’s bill.

“If you movement is so sacred, why are anarchists at the center of it”? said Breitbart, who helps run the popular news aggregator Drudge Report.

Breitbart also characterized the protests as an “electronic civil war” against supporters of the government.

Speakers also said the Democratic senators currently staying in Illinois are obstructing the legislative process and told teachers they are letting the state’s children down with the refusal to do their jobs.

Between 1,000 to 2,000 Walker supporters chanted “get back to work” and “the gravy train is over” at the pro-union protesters surrounding the perimeter of the rally on the Capitol Square.

Many University of Wisconsin students also continued to express solidarity with teaching assistants, faculty and staff joining the protests with a second day of walking out of classes on Friday.

UW junior Damon Terrell told UW students gathered on Library Mall he had witnessed more collaboration and working for peaceful protests in the past four days than he had seen in his entire life.

He said while he had initially questioned whether students would have the stamina to continue the battle for workers’ rights, the movement had continued to grow and gain supporters within the university and state.

“After returning from spending the night at the Capitol, my spirit was invigorated,” Terrell said.

UW TAs joined thousands of students for the march from campus to the Capitol, when gathered protesters cheered students as consumed the width of the streets around the building.

Union supporters in Iowa also announced plans to rally at their Capitol in Des Moines this week to express support for the continuing battle for workers’ rights, the Associated Press reported.