Pardon advisory board reviews applicants with interviews

After an objection from a board member, the Pardon Advisory Board reversed a decision Wednesday to review more than two dozen pardon applicants without face-to-face interviews.

The board originally made the change from the normal pardon process so the board could review more pardon applicants before Gov. Jim Doyle leaves office on January 3, said state Department of Justice board representative Cindy O’Donnell.

However, following a late-afternoon meeting, the board changed its mind and decided to once again hold interviews, O’Donnell said.

“I’m thrilled that they reconsidered that and have gone back to our longstanding protocol,” O’Donnell said.

According to an executive order, the board is required to hold a public hearing on each applicant and allow the applicant a chance to be heard.

O’Donnell earlier wrote an e-mail to board Chair Susan Crawford the change in policy eliminates a necessary part of the review process.

O’Donnell said she was concerned the board would not hear directly from applicants or have the opportunity to question them about their offense, their criminal history or other important matters.

O’Donnell also said in her experience on the board it is often difficult to assess whether an individual deserves to receive a pardon based solely on their file.

“As you know, this portion of the process is critical in making a meaningful recommendation as to whether the applicant should be recommended for a pardon,” O’Donnell said.

This is not the first time controversy has surrounded the state’s pardoning process.

Last month, Doyle faced criticism surrounding the 85 pardons he issued between August 2009 and August 2010. Those pardons comprised nearly one-third of the 214 pardons Doyle has granted overall since taking office in 2003, nearly 150 more than former Gov. Tommy Thompson, a Republican who was in office from 1987 to 2001.

Some Republicans claim these numbers show too much leniency on the part of the Doyle administration when it comes to crime.

The number of pardon requests sent to Doyle’s office has greatly increased. Doyle mostly gave these pardons to those convicted of misdemeanors and other small-time crimes.

According to Jay Heck, the director of Common Cause in Wisconsin, despite the lack of interviews, he doubts these pardons are granted without proper consideration of the facts of each case.

Heck said even though opposition to these pardons exists, they provide an important part of the political process.

“There’s always people who oppose pardons like this because they think they’re unfair and they think people should serve their full term in prison,” Heck said.

Heck said he does not think political motivations played a large part in either the decision to grant pardons or the controversy surrounding the decision to not interview potential receivers of pardons.

“Whenever you switch from a Democrat to a Republican or a Republican to a Democrat there’s always going to be partisan questions,” Heck said.

Heck said while pardons without interviews have raised objections from some, Doyle likely would not grant any pardons that would tarnish his legacy as governor.

Doyle’s office could not be reached for comment as of press time.

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.