Barrett concedes race to Walker

MILWAUKEE – The speakers cut off, and a hush fell over the crowd as the moment everyone had been dreading arrived. A few seconds later, cheers rose up from the crowd as Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett walked onto stage and conceded the gubernatorial race to his Republican opponent Scott Walker.

“I respect the voters in the state of Wisconsin, and I honor their decision,” Barrett said, after announcing he had just called Walker to congratulate him. “I told [Walker] I wanted to work together because we have very important issues that this state faces.”

Barrett addressed several hundred of his supporters at American Serb Memorial Hall in Milwaukee Tuesday night, conceding a race that had become increasingly heated in recent weeks.

Doors opened to the event around 8 p.m., and by 8:30 the crowd had reached several hundred. Beer was flowing and people were mingling, although most conversations were tinged with a sense of resignation for the expected announcement. Loud cheers were raised whenever a Democratic victory across the country was announced, and angry boos could be heard for Republican winners.

Shortly before 9 p.m., Assembly Majority Leader Tom Nelson, Barrett’s running mate, ascended the stage to loud cheers and announced the campaign would not concede until more votes were in.

“When poll after poll and pundit after pundit said ‘no,’ we said ‘yes,'” Nelson announced to explosive cheering. “Right now well over 70 percent of the voices of those hardworking families in every corner of this state…have not been heard.”

Although Nelson’s speech seemed to temporarily raise spirits, by 10:30 the Democrats could no longer hold out hope for a victory, and Nelson again took the stage, this time with a more somber tone.

Nelson described the campaign as “hard fought,” and praised the crowd for supporting the ideals of honesty, integrity and hard work exemplified by his running mate.

“There is honor in fighting for the working men and women of our state…there is honor in fighting the tide of pessimism and negativity that we have been hearing for month after month,” Nelson said. “Tonight I am proud to be a Democrat.”

Although Barrett conceded the governorship to Walker, he promised this setback will not stop him fighting for working-class families around the state.

“I have never stopped believing in the state of Wisconsin, and I never will stop believing in the state of Wisconsin,” Barrett said. “Our collective challenge tonight is to continue the struggle and the fight.”