Madison woman steals father’s car, grabs purses in parking lot

Madison Police arrested a Dane County woman Thursday morning in connection to a hit and run that occurred the previous night. 

In a parking ramp on Monroe Street, 27-year-old Theresa Petty jumped into the passenger seat of her father’s Cadillac Escalade and attempted to drive off Wednesday night, according to an MPD report.

Petty’s father had been with her outside and stood on the running board of the car as she moved, trying to get her to stop. When Petty left the ramp she ran directly into oncoming traffic.

Petty ran almost head-on into a Toyota as she drove out of the ramp, which then collided into a car behind it.
Petty’s father finally fell from the car due to the crash, and despite landing on the ground and being backed into by Petty after getting up, did not receive significant injuries, the report said. 

The two other drivers involved in the collision were also not hurt, but that was not the case for their vehicles, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. 

“The reports I read said that there was significant damage so that they weren’t drivable,” DeSpain said. 

Petty is also suspected of strong-armed robbery at the Woodman’s grocery store on Milwaukee Avenue, and for striking another car. 

At around 5 a.m. Thursday morning, a 71-year-old woman had her purse ripped away from her as she walked backed to her car in the Woodman’s Food Market east parking lot. 

The suspect was seen jumping into a Cadillac Escalade and proceeded to back into a parked car before driving away, the report said. 

“My understanding is that there was some kind of disturbance at the convenience store, but I don’t know the nature of it,” DeSpain said.
Madison Police officers arrested Petty after a traffic stop on Dempsey Road, the report added. 

Police charged her with operating a vehicle without the owner’s consent, reckless endangerment, operating a vehicle while suspended and violating duty after striking a car. 

Petty has a history of non-criminal driving offenses and is not currently being charged with the robbery.
DeSpain said that officers have not yet had a chance to question Petty. 

“I don’t have any clear understanding on the motive yet,” he said.