UW ranked 6th for participation in study abroad

University of Wisconsin students are going international, according to a study released Monday ranking UW students among the top in the nation for their participation in study abroad programs.

The Open Doors Report, a study by the Institute of International Education, ranked UW sixth in the nation for overall student participation in study abroad programs, third for yearlong study abroad participation and fourth for semester-long study abroad participation.

In total, 2,216 UW students studied abroad during the 2007-08 academic year, up 20 percent from the previous academic year.

The study also indicated more students nationally are studying abroad in non-traditional countries, a trend reflected at UW. Currently, UW’s most popular study abroad destination is Spain, followed by England, Italy, China and France, according to Robert Howell, director of International Academic Programs at UW.

While 56 percent of students chose to study abroad in European countries, during the 2007-08 academic year, programs in Asia, South America and Africa continued to steadily gain popularity, Howell said. Following Europe in popularity is Asia, which accounted for 14 percent of study abroad participants, Latin America at 10 percent and Africa at 7 percent.

“Europe is certainly a major player, but when you’ve got countries like Brazil and China and India really emerging as major economic and cultural powers, I think it’s important that our students experience that,” Howell said.

More than 200,000 students have studied abroad since UW first began sending students abroad in 1959 with a program in India, Howell said. He added UW has made internationalization a strategic priority for many years with studying abroad being one facet of UW’s internationally focused education. Other approaches include creating an internationalized curriculum in all departments, establishing international research networks and fostering relationships with universities around the world.

The greatest benefit to students who study abroad is cultural competence, Howell said.

“Students themselves gain what we often term global competence — gaining the ability to look at issues and everyday life through other people’s eyes and become culturally literate,” Howell said.

A 2008 task force commissioned by UW made internationalization a focus for the university and recommended strategies to define and assess global proficiency, provide more international opportunities for students, integrate cultural perspectives into all disciplines and increase foreign language study, among other recommendations.

Masarah

Van Eyck, director of communications in the Division of International Studies, said UW’s high rankings stem from a strong tradition of internationalization based on the Wisconsin Idea.

Van Eyck said UW facilitates study abroad by recruiting students and providing scholarships to reduce program costs. She added that during the 2007-08 academic year, UW provided $500,000 in study abroad scholarships to 310 students.

UW senior Sara Erickson, who studied in Senegal during her junior year, said her experience taught her to adapt to other cultures, encouraged her to make cross-cultural relationships and challenged her views of American culture.

“Being exposed to a completely different culture gives you a really interesting perspective on the world,” Erickson said. “You learn a lot about other viewpoints.”