Greenbush robbed at gunpoint

An armed man robbed Greenbush Bakery on Regent Street Tuesday evening, displaying a gun to an employee before fleeing on foot with an undisclosed amount of money.

According to the incident report, a white male entered the bakery at 1305 Regent St. at approximately 7:15 p.m. No one was injured.

The suspect is described as thin with dark hair, blue eyes and a height of about 6 feet. He was last seen wearing a black hoodie with blue jeans and boxers, a belt with metal studs and white shoes, according to the report.

The incident is the latest in a string of robberies in the Madison area. Two burglaries occurred this weekend in the areas of West Mifflin and West Doty streets.

A little after 5 p.m. on Sunday, the Madison Police Department received a call of a break in and burglary that occurred on the 500 block of West Doty Street, according to the police report. The victim reported he had been sleeping when he heard shuffling in the kitchen. The victim went to investigate the noise and found a man in his kitchen, claiming he was looking for a friend’s party.

When police arrived, they found the victim’s back door window had been broken. The police brought in a trained dog to try and pick up the trail of the burglar. After tracking the scent for 10 blocks, the dog still had not caught the perpetrator, the report said.

At 5:40 p.m. the same day, MPD recieved another call regarding a burglary at 514 West Mifflin St. A young woman at the residence had come home to find the glass window in her back door was shattered and her laptop and phone were missing.

“(I am) unpleasantly surprised by the number of burglaries that occurred in my district over the weekend,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “Unfortunately, burglaries are nothing new to the campus area.”

Verveer noted the residencies that seem to be getting burglarized are those that live in older traditional houses in the downtown area.

He said homes with flimsy screens that do not have high-tech security systems are being targeted. Expensive electronics such as iPods, game systems, laptops and phones are being stolen because they are easy to grab and resell.

Students need to be very cautious of their valuables right now, Verveer said.

“When leaving the house, students should take precautions in terms of securing property and surroundings,” Verveer said. “Also, they should report any suspicious persons they see lurking around houses.”

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the police department is taking the burglaries very seriously.

“Any burglary is a serious matter, but the fact that these had forced entry raises the danger factor,” DeSpain said.

— Signe Brewster contributed to this report.