Swine flu reports down

University Health Services reported the number of students contacting them about flu-like symptoms has declined for the second week in a row, with 94 students reporting H1N1 symptoms, down from 168 last week.

Sarah Van Orman, executive director for UHS, said she is happy to see the number decrease but would not be surprised to see another surge of cases later in the semester.

“We are hearing that students are doing all the right things,” Van Orman said. “They are taking this seriously and being cautious and, most importantly, staying home when they are sick.”

UW spokesperson John Lucas said he is encouraged by the decrease.

“Things are definitely looking better than they were in mid-September,” Lucas said.

The H1N1 vaccine is expected to be available earlier than the mid-October date previously expected, according to Van Orman. It will be coming in both a shot and nasal spray form, with the nasal spray expected within the next couple weeks. One drawback of the nasal spray is that people at high risk cannot receive it.

She added she is very confident there will only have to be one dose of the vaccine administered now instead of two as previously reported.

“We ask that people continue to do the same things on campus,” Lucas said. “Things like handwashing, going home when ill and self-isolating.”

Earlier in the semester, the university warned students the semester might be shortened if the H1N1 virus turned into a pandemic across campus. Right now, Van Orman said there is no reason to shorten the semester.

“Another important thing we are trying to let students know is that there are some students with underlying health conditions that need to call us right away,” Van Orman said. “Know if you are one of those people.”

The common underlying conditions that could cause a problem are diabetes or asthma. Less common conditions include people who have had their spleen removed or people who have heart problems.

Van Orman recommended students get the seasonal flu vaccination right away, and UHS is currently offering the shot for free.