State may require regent per region in Wisconsin

The Senate Committee on Agriculture and Higher Education recommended a bill Tuesday that would require University of Wisconsin System Board of Regent members to come from seven distinct regions of Wisconsin, changing a composition that has historically been dominated by Madison and Milwaukee.

The bill was sponsored by Sen. Julie Lassa, D-Stevens Point, who was looking to see more diversity on the board with members not only from the most populated areas of the state.

“The bill directs … at least one member of the Board of Regents reside in each of seven geographical regions throughout the state,” Lassa said in a public hearing on the bill last month. “It will ensure that this body, which is responsible for governing the entire UW System and naming its chancellors and deans, will have at least one member that will be responsible for representing the needs and interests of each of its campuses.”

The bill would not go into effect until 2015 due to the cycling of regents and when new ones are due to be appointed.

Not only will the seven regions be balanced on a geographical basis, but Lassa said they will also have a balance within each region reflecting the amount of four-year institutions in relation to two-year institutions.

Jack Jablonski, spokesperson for Sen. Sheila Harsdorf, R-River Falls, who co-sponsored the bill, said Harsdorf had been making this an ongoing effort for over the last six to eight years.

Jablonski added the main goal is to increase the regional representation present on the board and Harsdorf is supportive of efforts that would expand the reach of the regents.

“Her concern is that a lot of times, the positions will gravitate to Madison and Milwaukee,” Jablonski said.

Regent Eileen Connolly-Keesler of Neenah said the current makeup of the board is fairly representative, including people from the Wausau area, the Fox River Valley and even student members from Eau Claire and Platteville.

She added since she was appointed a member of the board in 2003, Gov. Jim Doyle has made an effort to have representation from various regions throughout Wisconsin, trying to ensure geographical diversity.

“I can’t imagine [the bill] is going to hinder anyone from trying to be a part of the Board of Regents (who is) not from Madison or Milwaukee,” Connolly-Keesler said.

Typically the regions of Dane County and Milwaukee County are overrepresented, said Lassa. Currently, 12 out of the 18 regents are from either area, Lassa said.

She added the northwest part of Wisconsin, which is home to four UW System schools, is currently not represented. She also said there is no regent residing near UW-Parkside or UW-Whitewater.

“Madison and Milwaukee are important to the economic health and future of this state, but the four- and two-year campuses that comprise the lion’s share of the UW System are no less important,” Lassa said.

Correction: This article originally stated 10 out of 14 UW regents were located in either Dane County or Milwaukee County. The article should have said 12 out of the 18 regents. The article has been changed to reflect that fact. We regret the error.