Board continues budget debates

BOE_BB
Ald. Michael Schumacher, District 18, talks about budget concerns to the Board of Estimates.[/media-credit]

Discussion of the capital budget continued Tuesday night with the Board of Estimates hearing from more city agencies and their plans for the 2010 budget.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said he believes many great benefits will be obtained through the Central Library and Edgewater Hotel projects, two major projects included in the budget.

“These two projects will create 1,000 construction jobs in the city of Madison and will also generate an annual tax revenue of $1.5 million,” Cieslewicz said. “Given the recession and the state of the economy, these are both important benefits.”

Members of the community were present to give their opinion on the plans for the new Central Library. Madison resident Mike Quieto was very optimistic about the upcoming project.

“Investing in our public infrastructure is vitally important to maintaining a vibrant community,” Quiet said.

Madison Library Board member David Wallner also had positive things to say regarding the library.

“We can’t afford to not move on the library project now,” Wallner said. “It is important that we have a strong central library.”

However, there were those who think the project will have negative effects on the community. Dave Carig, another Madison resident, had many objections to both the Edgewater and Central Library projects.

“There are too many questions about the economy overall to go forward with the two projects,” Carig said.

The debate over whether to put a community garden on top of the new Central Library was also debated. Madison resident Kevin Schiesser believes a community garden is an exciting opportunity for the city.

“There are many cities that are ahead of us with putting gardens on the roof, but we would be one of the first to have a community garden on the roof of a public library,” Schiesser said.

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray was on hand to discuss the $2 million the police department wants to budget for a new training facility.

Wray discussed the many reasons the Madison Police Department needs the new facility.

“There is a gathering storm with the number of people retiring within the next few years, so we expect our class sizes to be expanding enormously,” Wray said.

The police department currently is using the vehicle storage facility on Marsh Road. Ald. Joe Clausius, District 17, said he believes the current facility is too small for the department and they deserve to have their own facility.

“I thought the department’s proposal was well thought out and is very much needed,” Clausius said. “It’s time that the police department went at it on their own, instead of being at the whim of MATC.”

Rob Phillips, deputy city engineer, and Mike Dailey, principal engineer, discussed the many road projects they have allocated for the 2010 budget. Projects in the works include the reconstruction of neighborhood streets, railroad crossings and quiet zones, pavement management and general road maintenance.

Proposals and amendments to the budget are due by noon Oct. 6.