ASM: Funding for LGBT trip center of debate

ASM_LK
The Student Council debates whether funding can be used to send students to an LGBT march in D.C.[/media-credit]

Students across various campus groups fought, unsuccessfully for the moment, for ASM funding to attend the National Equality March for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender equal rights.

A considerable number of students came to the ASM meeting to show their support for the National Equality March and to request somewhere in the range of $10,000 to $20,000 to provide buses to the event held in Washington, D.C.

ASM members debated on whether funding such an event falls within the realm of their power.

One reason being the trip has already received $960 from ASM, which event organizer Jessie Otradovec said is only half of what they requested and not nearly the amount they need.

Otradovec estimated about 110 people have expressed interest in the trip. She added her concern lies with a great deal of students that have expressed their desire to go but lack the funds to pay for the trip.

Sophomore Nathan Maney made his plea to ASM, saying he believes the trip is a worthy cause for the university to back, yet he is unable to afford the trip.

“If ASM funds this it will allow a lot of students in the same situation to go,” Maney said.

Currently several students and groups are organizing fundraising for the event and have raised $2,700 thus far, but with the two buses they have reserved for the trip they need a total of $9,750 to take 110 people at a cost of $88 per person.

“I feel the university would benefit from this march, not just for LGBT people, but for people in general because it advances rights for everyone when you have one group succeed,” Maney said.

Although several ASM members expressed their support for funding, there was uncertainty on a number of different topics, such as if supporting the event represents all students’ views on campus, where the funding would come from and if they could vote on it disregarding viewpoint neutrality.

Jonathan Elmergreen, a sophomore representing the Gay-Straight Alliance in Chadbourne Residential College, said the issue affects many students on campus and going to the event would bring back a new motivation to continue fighting for equal rights.

Regardless if the event is worthy of support, the fact that ASM might not be able to fund the group was the main point of debate.

“It is a blatant attempt to circumvent the funding system that is the foundation of the ASM Finance Committee. Approving this legislation would be the equivalent of slapping my committee, and each member of my committee, in the face,” said Finance Committee Chair Matt Beemsterboer.

With various viewpoints and arguments heard, no unanimous decision could be reached, and the representatives voted to postpone discussion indefinitely.

“I can’t think of any reasons why it’s not entirely appropriate for ASM to publically declare its support for equality on this march,” said Rep. Erik Paulson, a Badger Herald columnist.

He added he expects this issue of funding the National Equality March to be on the agenda at the next ASM meeting.