ASM reflects on past year at final semester meeting

ASMPressConference_AR
Old and new ASM members reminisce on last year while bringing their 15th session to a close.[/media-credit]

The Associated Students of Madison brought their 15th session to a close Monday by reflecting on their accomplishments and advising the next session to continue the momentum initiated by this year’s council.

“We started off in a rough place,” ASM Chair Brittany Wiegand said. “We’ve done a lot to change ASM structurally and a lot about how we reach our constituents. We had problems with accountability, with interns and committee chairs. …This is something we worked very hard to change this year. We’ve done a lot to give Student Council a more meaningful role.”

ASM noted many specific accomplishments, including increased student involvement and diversity, and improving relations within the student government’s many sectors and committees.

Although ASM leaders said the committee made clear progress in engaging students — as shown by voter turnout in this year’s constitutional election and improved general student service funds relations — the group encouraged the next session to continue the council’s momentum.

“It’s something we saw with the constitutional vote,” Wiegand said. “Students want to be engaged, so we need to work harder and get more students engaged.”

ASM Vice Chair Hannah Karns said she encourages the next session to address ASM accessibility and establish a presence at the Capitol to improve legislative affairs.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Carl Fergus also said he believes the council will collaborate even more effectively in the coming years.

Fergus added he does not anticipate internal turmoil or tension between members of the For Accessibility, Community and Empowerment of Students slate and non-affiliated members of the student government.

“It seems that the numerous voices that will be in the next government share the same general goals and the same things that they would like to accomplish, so I don’t think there will be issues unless they come up,” Fergus said. “But inherently, I don’t think there’s a controversy between the beliefs of the two.”

The ASM leaders also encouraged the new council to work off lessons learned from the failed constitutional proposal.

“We put it to a vote, and it did not pass, but the development gave way to very meaningful debate about the philosophical underpinnings of the government,” Wiegand said. “Though the students voted no, the level the committee engaged in helped us take things from the process and some ways we shouldn’t move ASM. … It was a very productive process to go through.”

The failed election also encouraged this year’s Student Council to rewrite job descriptions, implement greater accountability for committee chairs and develop a greater sense of commitment to ASM, Wiegand said. He added this should aid the next session in improving the student governments presence and accountability on campus.

Karns added developing another draft of a new constitution would be in the hands of the next session, but no plans have been made thus far.

The next members will take office in the beginning of the next session on May 1.