College Republicans host veteran of war in Iraq, express disappointment with UW

[media-credit name=’LEAH BELLACK/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Veteran_LB[/media-credit]

A University of Wisconsin alumnus and veteran spoke on the history of Veteran’s Day and the nation’s disinterest in the holiday as part of the College Republicans’ observance Tuesday.

Sgt. Kevan Brackee, who has served in the military since 1989 and is currently a member of the Army National Guard, also discussed his experience in the military and his feelings on current issues surrounding the Iraqi war.

He expressed disappointment at the country’s lack of fervor surrounding the national holiday.

“They have a bigger party for Groundhog’s Day than they do for Veteran’s Day in this country,” Brackee said. “My hope is that we as a people … can start to revere our veterans.”

He expressed disappointment with the media coverage of the war, which he said was “absolutely negative.”

“They’re only there for one reason. … Their CEOs want to make money,” Brackee said.

Brackee said the war is going well and that he and most of his fellow soldiers want to complete their missions there, adding, “We should be allowed to finish what we started.

“Today things are much better in Iraq,” Brackee said. “I believe in the mission in Iraq.”

Brackee estimated about 80 percent of his fellow soldiers felt the same way.

After the speech, Brackee took questions from attendees. He described his feelings about the fact that President-elect Barack Obama would not “say the surge in Iraq worked.”

“I’m not happy with it. … I think it’s very disrespectful, and I think it’s disgusting,” Brackee said.

At the end of the meeting, attendees were invited to fill out Christmas cards, which will be mailed to the troops in Iraq, and to take “anti-socialism” posters to “hang up around campus.” There were also Reagan pins available.

However, he added this doesn’t necessarily mean Obama will be a “bad leader.”

UW junior Merike Seaman said she appreciated hearing Brackee’s perspective on the war.

“I have two friends over in Iraq right now, so I think it was just good to get a different perspective from what they’re telling me, (to hear) someone else who’s saying it’s a good idea that we’re there,” Seaman said.

UW sophomore Philip Konkol also enjoyed the speech.

“I though the speaker was great. … It’s good to know that he’s out there telling people that the Iraq war isn’t going for nothing,” Konkol said.

Sara Mikolajczak, chair of the College Republicans, said she thought the event went well but said she saw a lackluster response to the day from the university that was “absolutely pathetic” and said she was embarrassed by it.

“I was expecting to open my e-mail this morning and get a message from the chancellor,” Mikolajczak said. “Our union is dedicated to veterans, and we get nothing. So, if this is what we can do, this is what we can do.”

Earlier today, members of the group were on Library Mall collecting spare change from passing students to give to the local Veterans’ Center. The center provides returning soldiers with psychological support, allowing them to reintegrate into society.

Although the collection Tuesday had to be called off early because of rain, Mikolajczak said members would still be collecting throughout the rest of the week.