State may ban ‘elastic yo-yos’

Certain yo-yos would be banned from Wisconsin if two state legislators' bills pass this session.

Reintroduced by co-authors state Sen. Julie Lassa, D-Stevens Point, and Rep. Amy Sue Vruwink, D-Milladore, the bill would fine distributors of elastic yo-yos $1,000 per violation.

The bill defines elastic yo-yos as "any toy known as a 'yo-yo waterball' or any similar toy consisting of a rubber-like object that is attached to an elastic cord."

According to testimony by Lassa at an April 11 public hearing, the national Child Product Safety Commission had received 409 reported injuries related to the toy as of November 2006, mostly classified as suffocation or strangulation. Seven of the incidences occurred in Wisconsin.

Lassa also said the liquid inside the toy can be "irritating" to a child's skin.

Peg Scholtes, the owner of the Capital Kids toy store near the Capitol, said the toy poses a danger primarily because "people buy it for children too young to adequately play with it."

Scholtes said her store and her vendors pulled the yo-yo waterballs from their shelves when its dangers were first discovered.

"When it comes to the fate of your children, you shouldn't be concerned about selling a $2 item when children's lives are at risk," Scholtes said.

George Gillis, a spokesperson for Vruwink, said there was no registered opposition to the bill at the public hearing.

Lassa's testimony pointed to countries currently banning the toy, such as France, Australia, Brazil and Canada, as well as the state of Illinois.

Scholtes said the yo-yo waterballs "are fun to play with" and said there is potential for injury with many toys on the market. The significant risk of injury, however, led Capital Kids to remove the toy from its shelves.

Scholtes expressed concern that while specialty toy stores have pulled the toy, bigger stores may not even be aware if they are selling it.

"I'm surprised that it's taken this long to take them off the market," Scholtes said.