Sexual assault hits University Avenue

In a frightening turn of events, another Madison resident was sexually assaulted early Monday morning.

Police responded to a call at 3:40 a.m. from a 23-year-old female who said she had been sexually assaulted behind a business on the 500 block of University Avenue, according to a Madison Police Department press release.

The victim was approached by two suspects who forced themselves on her between a set of garbage dumpsters. According to the release, two other suspects saw the attack taking place and also sexually assaulted the victim.

The suspects, described as one white male, one black male and two Hispanic males, were in their early 20s and early 30s, the release states. One suspect may have been named "Tony."

In what is becoming an unwelcome trend in the city of Madison, police and city officials stressed the importance of residents not walking home alone late at night.

"It would behoove people not to walk alone late at night and early in the morning," said Madison Lt. Anthony Bitterman. "Obviously, unfortunately, excess of alcohol consumption often times can play a role. I guess showing some moderation where that's concerned would help."

However, Bitterman still considered the Madison downtown safe, when the proper precautions were taken.

This sexual assault comes almost two weeks after a University of Wisconsin student was assaulted in her Langdon Street apartment building.

While the wave of assaults, muggings and robberies has Madison citizens unsure of just how safe their city is, Madison City Council President Austin King said the sudden spike in crime could be a combination of different issues.

King added that police simply patrolling in squad cars would not be the solution to quelling violent crimes.

"We need them on the street keeping the peace between 2 and 4 [a.m.], it's especially the worst time to be out," King said.

Still, King said, "The even more tragic truth is that you're just as likely to be sexually assaulted in your bedroom than behind a dumpster."

The difficulties of a being a small town in a big city have begun to weigh heavily, King noted.

"We are really struggling downtown right now," King said.

If you have information concerning the assault or any other crimes, please contact Crime Stoppers at 608-266-6014.