Kucinich comes to Milwaukee

Kucinich comes to Milwaukee

By Natalie J. Mikhail

State Editor

Ohio Congressman and Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich campaigned in Milwaukee Thursday, encouraging voter registration.

Kucinich spoke to a crowd of Midwesterners as part of the “Rolling Thunder” campaign, which is sponsored by the Gamaliel Foundation, to educate voters on the importance and value of democratic elections, as well as his view for the future of America.

Kucinich distinguished himself from the other eight Democratic presidential hopefuls, saying he is the only candidate with a plan to end the United States’ occupation of Iraq. As a consistent critic of President Bush’s policy in the region, Kucinich criticized his fellow candidates for wavering in their opposition of the war. He reaffirmed his position at the event, saying the United States should withdraw from Iraq and allow the United Nations to administer and rebuild the country.

Kucinich also attacked Bush for lifting the steel tariffs last week, saying they actually have a positive effect. He pointed out that protecting domestic steel producers would save steel consumers the transportation cost of importing their steel from foreign businesses.

Abolishing tariffs on steel products, Kucinich added, hurts domestic steel producers without really benefiting manufacturers.

Imposing the protective tariffs won Bush support from domestic steel producers. However, the tariffs angered steel-consuming industries in some states, such as Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan.

After his speech, Kucinich signed autographs and took photographs with supporters. He ranks behind most Democratic candidates in state and national polls.

About 1,000 supporters from the group of inter-faith leaders met with Kucinich and U.S. Rep. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., to promote non-partisan voter education.