Rec Sports and UHS submit budgets

The Student Service Finance Committee heard the budget requests of University Recreational Sports and University Health Services Monday night.

Many SSFC members were absent, reportedly because they had fallen ill.

After several phone calls were made, the committee made quorum after nearly an hour delay. But only five members and chair Roman Patzner sat at the table until the end of the meeting.

UHS, represented by Executive Director Kathy Poi and Director Dwayne Sackman, took the unusual step of actually proposing three different budgets that they referenced as “A,” “B” and “C”.

“‘A’ means no enhancements,” Sackman said. “It’s a ‘as is’ budget. ‘C’ is what it might cost if we did everything we wanted to do. ‘B’ is right in between there, and that’s the budget we’re proposing.”

The budget raised student wages overall, which Poi said reflected a higher reliance on student employment within.

The budget also included approximately $12,000 for information-systems development and about $25,000 towards a new automated call-directing system.

“Students like what we do,” said Dale Carruthers, who represented University Recreational Sports along with Terry Virlee. “It’s not what we do; it’s what we don’t do.”

The URS budget request related mostly to the refabrication of the South East Recreational Facility and the replacement of worn equipment. $90,000 was budgeted toward new fitness equipment, $50,000 for 42-inch plasma television screens, and $29,300 for new elliptical fitness machines.

Both budgets will be debated and passed or rejected next Monday.