UW students turn to tech schools

Students from the University of Wisconsin and other state colleges constitute nearly half of the transfers to state technical schools, according to a tech system staff analysis.

More than 3,000 former UW students, many having already obtained four-year degrees, subsequently transferred to a technical school for additional classes. Alternately, more than 2,500 former technical students have enrolled in UW systems colleges.

Deborah Mahaffey, assistant state director of Wisconsin Technical Systems, said the reason for the switch may be attributed to students “clarifying direction” in their career goals.

Students who have already earned their degrees and those who have not may choose a technical school for its emphasis on specific job skills, or because they have changed their mind about their career, Mahaffey explained.

For students who have a Bachelor’s degree, the additional coursework should be relatively easy, she said.

“It’s not too hard to get an Associate’s degree in a field related to the one they originally studied,” Mahaffey said.

For students who change their minds at some point in their college education, she pointed out two appealing aspects of technical school education.

“This education is very focused on employment,” Mahaffey said. “Also, sometimes employers are willing to pay for continued education, so students can be reimbursed the tuition costs for a higher degree.”

The other potential advantage is hands-on experience.

“At a technical school, you get right in,” Mahaffey said. “With only two years to learn everything, that’s necessary.”

As for the future of transfers, staff and board members expressed concern about the ease with which students can switch schools and transfer their credits. Mahaffey said one goal of the Wisconsin Technical Systems is making information about transfers readily available to students.

Currently the nursing programs at UW colleges and technical schools have agreements about transfer of coursework between the two programs, but staff and board members said more such agreements must be forged.
\