Charges brought against Jensen, Foti, Ladwig

In the second wave of caucus-scandal-related charges in two days, prosecutors filed felony charges again Friday morning, this time hitting three influential state Republicans and a former legislative aide.

Assembly Speaker Scott Jensen, R-Waukesha, and Assembly Majority Leader Steve Foti, R-Oconomowoc, face felony charges for allegedly using state offices and state employees for campaign work on state time.

Jensen was charged with three felony counts of misconduct in public office and a misdemeanor charge of intentional use of his position for private gain. Foti was charged with a felony count of misconduct in public office.

Assembly Assistant Majority Leader Bonnie Ladwig, R-Racine, was also charged with a misdemeanor charge of using her public position for private financial gain.

Former Foti aide Sherry L. Schultz faces a felony charge for allegedly working as a full-time campaign fundraiser between January 1998 and October 2001.

While Jensen maintained his innocence Friday and said he has “the witnesses to prove it,” he announced he would step down from his post as assembly speaker.

“I have been extremely proud to serve as speaker of the assembly. I hope to do it again someday,” Jensen said in a statement. “But until I have cleared my name, I will not be asking my colleagues to give me that honor.”

Foti, who also denounced the charges, joined Jensen and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Chvala, D-Madison, charged Thursday with 20 felony charges for allegedly abusing power in office, in suggesting the charges are politically motivated and meant to influence the upcoming November election.

“After reviewing the criminal charge filed against me today by the Dane County district attorney, I am confident that after a full public trial I will be found not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing,” Foti said in a statement. “I am further saddened by the stress, humiliation and embarrassment which has been visited upon my family, friends and supporters by what appears to be a politically motivated prosecution.”

If convicted, Jensen faces up to 16 years in prison and $35,000 in fines. Foti and Schultz both face up to five years in prison and $10,000 in fines. Ladwig faces up to one year in jail and fines of $100 to $5,000.

Jensen , Foti and Schultz are expected to appear in Dane County Circuit Court Thursday morning. Either Ladwig or her attorney will also attend the initial appearance, where a judge will be assigned to the case and future court dates will be determined.