Nearly 300 colleges still accepting students for fall

Nearly 300 colleges and universities across the country are still admitting qualified applicants for the fall semester, according to the National Association for College Admission Counseling.

The NACAC’s 2002 Space Availability Survey released Monday gives the names of 288 institutions still looking for applicants. The report identified institutions still offering financial aid, accepting new freshman, housing availability and accepting transfer students. Most major universities were exempt from the list due to earlier admissions policies.

UW-Madison was not on the list, and only three four-year UW System schools were included. UW-Milwaukee, UW-Stout and UW-Oshkosh are still accepting students but at a limited number.

Wisconsin colleges still accepting students include: Carthage College, Edgewood College, Marian College of Fond du Lac, Marquette University, Mount Mary College, Northland College, Ripon College, St. Norbert College, UW-Milwaukee, UW two-year colleges, UW-Stout and UW-Oshkosh.

Each listing included a contact person for each school, a link to the school’s website and complete information about housing and financial aid.

Although the list is complete, it may be altered throughout the summer. When a school ends its admissions process, the entry will be updated. Last year at this time the survey said 243 schools were still admitting; that number grew to 351 by Aug. 1.

UW-Madison has nearly completed its entire admissions process.

Most universities have a deadline of May 1 for applicants who have been accepted to declare whether they will enroll in the fall. Although this deadline is concrete, some schools have rolling admissions and admit students until the class is full.

Colleges nationwide received more applications this year than in the past, so even if openings are available, they may be harder to come by.