Eaves named new hockey coach

With Mike Eaves next to him, Wisconsin athletic director Pat Richter introduced the former Badger player as the new head coach of UW men’s hockey.

Richter started the search for former head coach Jeff Sauer’s replacement in February, and after what Richter said was six to seven candidates were interviewed, Eaves was given the job.

“It’s been an interesting process, obviously, since the time that Jeff and I started talking about the possibility of him retiring from coaching,” Richter said. “The process has culminated in what we think is an outstanding person to take over the ranks.”

Eaves played for the Badgers in the late ’70s, including the 1977 season, in which Wisconsin won the NCAA championship. Since his playing days at UW ended, he has played in the NHL and coached on all levels from prep to professional leagues.

Eaves will officially start at Wisconsin in May, when he will sit down with his new team and make decisions as to who will assist him in his coaching duties. Eaves did say Tuesday that he will ask current assistant coach Mark Johnson to remain with the team.