Friendship fast for starving civilians of Afghanistan

The Madison Area Peace Coalition began a weeklong fast Monday to raise awareness and money for the plight of millions of Afghan civilians.

MAPC, formed Sept. 25 in response to the terrorist attacks by approximately 200 Madison-area citizens, began the fast to help the Afghan people that are facing severe food shortages due to drought and past warfare, which have been heightened by current conflict.

“To put it bluntly, 7.5 million innocent people could die of hunger this winter in Afghanistan, unless we take action,” Beth Wilson of MAPC said in a statement. “By going hungry ourselves we not only raise money to get food to them, but we begin to understand what they’re going through.”

MAPC, along with the Peace and Social Justice Council at St. Paul’s University Catholic Center, 723 State St., invites anyone interested to join in the daily events happening through Friday, Nov. 16, at St. Paul’s.

Events include a prayer service for peace at 12 p.m. Tuesday and a vigil held on Library Mall at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday. A panel discussion of war perspectives on America’s current situation will be held Friday at 5:30 p.m.

Participants can choose to fast on any of these days or donate money to aid efforts. Contributions can be dropped off at St. Paul’s all week.