NFL Conference Championship Previews

What more could we ask for? The title bout for both the NFC and the AFC feature four of the most storied franchises in the history of professional football. In the NFC, division bragging rights, regional reputations, the majestic George Halas Trophy and a coveted spot in Super Bowl XLV are all on the line. In the AFC, a confident, media-generating bunch faces a perennial powerhouse on its home field.

NFC Championship: Packers vs. Bears

What more needs to be said about Aaron Rodgers? He was simply dazzling last week against the Falcons in the Georgia Dome, completing 31 of 36 passes for 366 yards and three touchdowns, good for a 136.8 quarterback rating. Let’s not forget that he did this against the Atlanta Falcons, winners of the competitive NFC South with a record of 13-3, second-best in the NFL, on their home field. The Packers simply dominated the Falcons; the only bright spot for Atlanta was an impressive 102-yard kickoff return by Eric Weems.

That brings us to the Bears, who may not have been as jaw dropping as the Packers but finished the job nonetheless. The final score of their game with the Seattle Seahawks was 35-24. If not for two touchdowns in the final two and a half minutes by Seattle, the final would’ve been 35-10. The Bears didn’t show any rust coming off of a first-round bye as they calmly dispatched Pete Carroll’s bunch. Jay Cutler led the charge gracefully, throwing for two touchdowns passes en route to earning a 111.3 passer rating. Tight end Greg Olsen also impressed, catching three passes for 113 yards and an early touchdown. Besides the final score, the Bears’ performance was very comparable to that of the Packers in terms of level of domination.

A potential advantage for the Packers could come in the defensive line. Matt Ryan, who was sacked only 18 times over the course of the regular season, was dropped five times by the Packers’ defense. The Pack registered 47 total sacks during the regular season, the second-most in the league, while the Bears gave up 56 sacks, more than any other NFL team. In a game between teams of such high caliber, pressure on the quarterback becomes all the more important. The Packers could have a major advantage in the trenches. Look for Dom Capers to implement a variety of looks to confuse the Bears’ offense. The Packers will harass Cutler, forcing him to make mistakes. Couple that with the fact that Aaron Rodgers is literally on fire and the Packers should leave Soldier Field with Dallas and the Vince Lombardi Trophy on their minds. 

Packers 31, Bears 17

AFC Championship: Jets vs. Steelers

Another pair of tradition-rich teams will be put to the test when sophomore Mark Sanchez leads the controversial Gang Green into Heinz Field to take on Big Ben and the historically successful Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Jets are coming off of a 28-21 conquest of the Patriots, their archrivals and (previously) popular Super Bowl favorite. Mark Sanchez, who has had his fair share of skeptics in his second season under center, turned in a quality performance, while the Jets’ defense pounded Tom Brady. New York sacked him five teams and intercepted him once, ending his unbelievable streak of passes without an interception.

The Steelers had the luxury of playing at home last week, unlike the Jets. After being down 21-7 at the half, Ben Roethlisberger reminded us all why he’s won two Super Bowls and is one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Although he wasn’t off the charts statistics wise, he showed remarkable poise, distributing his passes to six different receivers and avoiding mistakes against the ravenous Baltimore defense. As expected, the Steelers D played very well, sacking Joe Flacco five times and picking him off once en route to a 31-24 win.

For the Jets, who are in their second consecutive AFC Championship, the gameplan will be to force turnovers and establish the run. Mark Sanchez will be expected to simply manage the offense, not be a hero. On the other hand, the Steelers will try to force the still raw signal caller into undesirable situations where he will either fumble or throw an interception.

Overall, the Steelers seem to have a definite advantage for multiple reasons. First of all, they’re playing at home, where they have a history of winning important games. Secondly, they field a veteran, ball-hawking defense, coached by Dick LeBeau, a living legend in the game of football. LeBeau’s defense will be hungry for the opportunity to attack the vulnerable Sanchez. Granted, Sanchez has played very well, especially considering this is only his second season in the league. But Roethlisberger is a seasoned, two-time world champion. In the end, Pittsburgh will force turnovers and chip away at the Jets’ stingy defense. 

Steelers 24, Jets 17