Aaron Carter to throw fresh party with nostalgic twist at Majestic

Late ’90s sensation talks upcoming new album, musical development prior to show March 5
A younger Aaron Carter showing off his signature locks and pout
Gif courtesy of frostsnows.tumblr.com

For many millennials, Aaron Carter and his elusive party were the pinnacle of cool. The dancing girls clad in colorful tank tops and pleather pants, the green Volkswagen beetles rolling up to the house and of course, the liberation from pesky parents was (and still is) the dream for cooped-up adolescents.

But now Aaron Carter is all grown up, ready to bring his party to new generations of listeners. The late ’90s childhood sensation will be playing the Majestic Theatre this Thursday at 8:30 pm in light of his upcoming album — the first he is set to release in 10 years.

Though he may still be sporting the same bleach blonde hair and killer dance moves, the now 26-year-old has developed quite a bit since his early career — as a person and as a musician. With his new album in the works and tour dates set through April, Carter intends to let his growth shine.

“Over the years, I’ve learned a lot more about myself and a lot more about what music means to me,” Carter said. “I realized just how much music matters to me and what a vital player it is in my life. I hope people just enjoy the new music, and that they can take it and have a good time with it. I want audiences to know Aaron Carter’s back.”

Carter began his career at the young age of seven, singing lead vocals for the band Dead End. Two years later in 1997, Carter made his first solo appearance, opening for his brother Nick Carter’s chart-topping band, The Backstreet Boys, on their international tour.

Through his solo performances, Carter signed his first record deal. That same year, he released his first single, “Crush On You,” as well as a self-entitled album.

Though his album earned gold status in five foreign countries, Carter’s career really took off in 2000, when he was 12 years old, with his second full-length album, “Aaron’s Party.” The album landed Carter his first triple platinum record and featured hit singles like, “That’s How I Beat Shaq,” “I Want Candy” and “Aaron’s Party.”

Having gained a large, international, millennial fan base and a great deal of fame, Carter continued recording and releasing tracks up through 2005, when he put out his last albums to date, “Another Earthquake” and “Saturday Night.”

It’s been 10 years since Carter’s last release, and he is finally prepared to put out another album, deeming his inspiration “just being ready” to do so.

While this album will stay true to Carter and his roots with a collective sound he describes as “a mix of rhythmic pop and dance music,” the album will also make a statement, allowing fans to see the progress Carter has made.

Since his childhood recordings, he has broadened his career and sharpened his skill set in a number of ways, one of which included taking a lead role in the long-running Off-Broadway production “The Fantasticks.”

“Doing classical style singing is an entirely different world,” Carter said. “It was very difficult, but it was strengthening and good for my technique. It helped me improve as a vocalist more than I could ever say. It’s been a challenge — but I like a challenge.”

In addition to taking on Off-Broadway, Carter has picked up a larger role in the writing and production sectors of his music. In fact he can now play three instruments: piano, guitar and bass.

“Over the years, I kind of figured out what I love, and which aspects of making music I most enjoy. I did more writing and producing. I started becoming not only an artist, but also a music producer. Now I produce my own stuff,” he said.

While Carter has honed his skills over the last few years, resulting in several new tracks he will be featuring on the tour, he has not completely abandoned the classics that captured a world’s worth of hearts in the early 2000’s.

“I’ve got a lot of new music that no one has ever heard before, and I am going to be playing it at the show, [and] I’ll be combining that with my classics, so it’ll be a good time,” Carter said.

But despite the musical renaissance Carter has embarked on, his favorite track to perform live is one of his throwback hits, and to his fans’ delight, based on a true story.

“I’ll go back and play my old songs forever. ‘Aaron’s Party’ is my favorite song to sing live,” he said. “The fans love it. They love it when I take them on a nostalgic time travel, and I love having the ability to do so.”

Whether you care to witness the strides of a chart-topper or simply let your inner ‘90s fan-girl loose with a choker, crop top and fanny pack, Carter will be showing off his moves at the Majestic on March 5.